When your "go-to" club goes wrong ...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don't have a go to or most reliable club. I think I can use each of them equally well and trust my swing to function on each swing and with the right club for that shot. Of course it doesn't always (rarely) pans out but I prefer that mindset than one not liking a particular club or having reliance on one

Maybe you missed a smiley there but you're saying you prefer an 'any club' mindset that "rarely" works for you, over having a go to club! :confused:

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
Not sure about "go to" clubs, most of mine can be capricious. But I definitely have a couple of "must avoid" clubs. The 3i and 54* (low bounce) wedge in particular. Either of those is a guarantee of sweariness.

bm.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
From reading your blog I know by your own admission you have an unreliable swing (as do I :mad:) and yoy have some nemesis holes at your home club

As an experienced player do you adapt your gameplan (if you have one) during the round depending on how you're playing or do you
trust my swing to function on each swing and with the right club for that shot

I'm always curious about the differing strategies people use as there's always things to learn

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Off the tee, a 3/4 3 wood. Long shot off the fairway, a #4 hybrid. Inside 150yds, a bump and run 8 iron.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Obviously, but that doesn't mean I'm going to use my iron on a 190 yard par 3, or tee off with a hybrid on a 450 yard par 4. If you avoid using your poorer clubs how are you going to improve with them? As I say, I just pick the club I need for the hole. My worst club is probably the 5 iron, but if I've got 180 yard par 3 I'm still going to use it because it's the right club I need for the hole.

When my woods had all but completely deserted me I was hitting my '18° Adams XTDti' off the tee's and I could still make par or bogey on our '487yd/par-4/4th' I do knock it to about 200-210 consistently off the tee or deck though which helps greatly, highly amusing when you make someone with a driver look stoopid off the tee whilst using yer hybrid... :thup:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Went back out yesterday, very similar round to Sunday. Driving it better than ever, but second shot letting me down massively. My trusty 4 and 5 hybrids going all over the place. Will see how it goes next week, but may be time for a lesson.