When you can hit ‘a moving ball’

D

Deleted member 23344

It probably dropped in because of the vibrations caused by all the walking around. Staggering that they don’t know the rule.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That’s ridiculous I think they knew the 10 second rule but seemed to be arguing that the ball was moving, I think it only dropped because 3 of them were walking round the hole.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
That’s ridiculous I think they knew the 10 second rule but seemed to be arguing that the ball was moving, I think it only dropped because 3 of them were walking round the hole.
Doesn't matter if the ball is moving - it's considered to be at rest after ten seconds. I don't think them walking around was any more of a factor than Tony Finua using his shadow to get the ball to drop a couple of weeks ago.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They obviously didn't from the conversation SKY showed last night with the rules official - Matt Kuchar seemed baffled by what the guy was telling them.
To be fair I thought Kuchar was right and the rule is a joke. Why is there a time limit if the ball is clearly still moving? So he should have tapped it in even though there's another rule that says you can't hit a moving a ball? How can you have two rules that directly contradict each other?

That was a birdie for me. End of.

wjemather

Visit site
Reading that feed, how long do some people want to wait for the ball to drop? 3 hours, 4 hours? Maybe come back tomorrow and see if is dropped in the morning? Ridiculous.

10 seconds after reaching the ball is long enough. It's a basic rule and there is no excuse for any pro not knowing it. They should have been penalised an additional stroke for incompetence and causing and unnecessary delay in play.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t know the rule. When does the 10 seconds start? From when the ball appears to have stopped, or from when you get to it?

How would this work if this was an approach shot, you hit, the ball “stops” and then as you are walking up (still say 100 yards away) and the ball then drops with nobody on the green.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I don’t know the rule. When does the 10 seconds start? From when the ball appears to have stopped, or from when you get to it?

How would this work if this was an approach shot, you hit, the ball “stops” and then as you are walking up (still say 100 yards away) and the ball then drops with nobody on the green.
You have a reasonable amount of time to get to your ball - so you can't take 5 minutes to walk 100 yards - and then 10 seconds waiting for it to drop.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
You have a reasonable amount of time to get to your ball - so you can't take 5 minutes to walk 100 yards - and then 10 seconds waiting for it to drop.

I think if I had walked from say 150 yards and the ball hadn’t dropped, I’d probably look at it and wonder how it hadn’t dropped before just knocking it in.

I was more wondering that in the situation it drops whilst you are doing the 150 yard walk does it count as a 2 or a 3.....providing the shot in was your 2nd

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Reading that feed, how long do some people want to wait for the ball to drop? 3 hours, 4 hours? Maybe come back tomorrow and see if is dropped in the morning? Ridiculous.

10 seconds after reaching the ball is long enough. It's a basic rule and there is no excuse for any pro not knowing it. They should have been penalised an additional stroke for incompetence and causing and unnecessary delay in play.
Both players agreed the ball was still moving though. The ball wouldn't be moving for 3 or 4 hours would it? :rolleyes:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Am sure we covered this topic a couple of months ago. Gusts of wind blowing it etc etc.