When will I ever learn?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played in a big local ladies singles competition at Manchester GC today, despite 3 putting 3 times early in the round, I got it going nicely and was on my handicap after 16 holes, I was a bit disappointed to miss a 2 foot putt on the 17th, but hit a good drive on 18 and then it happened, for the 2nd time in a couple of months I played the wrong ball, and I ended up taking 7 on the last which cost me 2nd place, I was worried it had cost me the win but someone off 8 had been round in one over gross so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

I really should learn that if I don't see where ball finishes I check that I am playing the correct ball!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
You should do what I do, which is to buy Vice balls & take advantage of the facility of putting your own logo on them. If you buy 60 it's still cheaper than buying Pro V1s. Nobody plays my ball by mistake or vice (pardon the pun) versa & I've even had lost ones handed back by a couple of members.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
You should do what I do, which is to buy Vice balls & take advantage of the facility of putting your own logo on them. If you buy 60 it's still cheaper than buying Pro V1s. Nobody plays my ball by mistake or vice (pardon the pun) versa & I've even had lost ones handed back by a couple of members.

Plus they can go pink 😁👍 morning Bill

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is an error which I know I have done on more than one occasion despite having fairly distinctive markings on my ball.

Last time it happened I only realised when I reached the green and sadly the other player had fired my ball in to the undergrowth and lost it.

U

User62651

Expect we've all done it, I have a couple of times in comps, no excuses. Most painful for me however have been playing off the wrong tees - done it twice in 30 years and both times on very good scores, no excuses again - one was a DQ as I played on unaware after error on 3rd tee and scored 72 gross which would've got a cut, t'other I realised before playing next shot on 17th tee (9 hole with different 18 tees course) so had to replay under penalty, did cost me my best ever score at the time on that course. Still rankles years later, hope yours doesn't!:mad:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I was planning on changing the ball I use I was torn between the Srixon Super soft or the Wilson Staff DX2

I went with the DX2 simply because half my society / PP play with Srixon so I thought would save the problem of always having to check it was my ball

no bugger players Wilson staff lol

D

Deleted member 21258

I ended up taking 7 on the last which cost me 2nd place

Sorry did have a chuckle over this.:eek::D

My mum tries to play the wrong ball quite alot, as she just forgets which ball is hers, have to watch her like a hawk otherwise she will hit your ball !!

Adam had it a month or two ago in a comp when he hooked his drive big time onto the 5th fairway from the 9th tee and a player on the 5th just walked down and hit his ball (think it cost the guy a 2 shot penalty, he was not impressed when Adam told him)

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did this once. A costly and embarrassing mistake and one that I put down as something that you do once and never again....

However, there have been a few times since when I've hit a ball from where I thought mine was without 100% checking it. Got away with it fortunately!

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So easily done and so easily avoidable

All done it and probably will again

I always mark both sides of my ball which maybe helps a little but is certainly not foolproof

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I played in a big local ladies singles competition at Manchester GC today, despite 3 putting 3 times early in the round, I got it going nicely and was on my handicap after 16 holes, I was a bit disappointed to miss a 2 foot putt on the 17th, but hit a good drive on 18 and then it happened, for the 2nd time in a couple of months I played the wrong ball, and I ended up taking 7 on the last which cost me 2nd place, I was worried it had cost me the win but someone off 8 had been round in one over gross so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

I really should learn that if I don't see where ball finishes I check that I am playing the correct ball!

Write 100 time "I must check before playing my ball". Very silly mistake and I remember you mentioning it before. Senility is tough. At least it didn't cost the win but it could next time!!