When the rough is genuinely rough

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How does a GK 'keep on top of it'? How long do members want the 'long rough' to be? GKs can't keep it to say 12"-18". They can cut it down altogether, which you probably don't want, and then have to gather it all up and pile it somewhere time and time again with the cutting invigorating the growth...or leave the cut grass lying where it has been cut - and that's never great your ball running into an area of cut grass.
If you keep it down to reasonable height of a rough cutter you don’t need to collect it.
The big problem is letting it get like that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If you keep it down to reasonable height of a rough cutter you don’t need to collect it.
The big problem is letting it get like that.
I don't know how rough cutters work...but even if one can cut rough to say 12"-18" you are still going to have a lot of cut rough to somehow be collected and tractor tracks all through it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know how rough cutters work...but even if one can cut rough to say 12"-18" you are still going to have a lot of cut rough to somehow be collected and tractor tracks all through it.
I think you have misunderstood my original point.
It should never have got to that height in the first place.
Somebody hasn’t done their job properly.

Apart from a farm baler there is only the manual way to deal with grass that height.
Scythe or strimmer to a decent length then a rough cutter.
But yes your right you need to get rid of the cut grass.

My point is !
If you don’t let it get to that height by regular mowing you don’t have any grass to get rid of.