When the rough is genuinely rough

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s pretty penal.
We have fescue but not that height.
It’s the grass at the bottom that’s the problem not the whispy stuff.
Have they done that on purpose ?
If so I hope the greens committee people go in it a few times, that’s just very silly.

greenone

Visit site
Biggest problem with rough of this "quality" is the effect on the pace of play....everything grinds to a halt.
It shouldn't. I'd be playing a provisional if I thought there was any danger of me being anywhere near that. If that was on fairway I wouldn't even bother looking.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It shouldn't. I'd be playing a provisional if I thought there was any danger of me being anywhere near that. If that was on fairway I wouldn't even bother looking.
The problem there is some golfers balls are made of gold and they would even look in there.
im with you ,I don’t want to find it in that.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the things that gets me with rough like or trees with long grass underneath or any similar situation is a committee's lack of willingness to create a penalty area where it exists. Very often even you can find the ball in the first place just about the only option for unplayable lie is back to where you hit the last shot from.

When the new rules came out I was responsible for the admin of the new rules and we set up a sub committee to discuss the options. I was the only person on it willing to bring in penalty areas and there some places on our course where they really are needed.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I've noticed that a lot of courses near me at the cheaper end of the scale (I'm on a strict budget these days!) have gone the way of long rough. On these courses, the tee boxes and greens are better than they have been previously, and the rough visually looks impressive as it provides some definition between the fairway and rough. So my theory is that these courses are not bothering to cut the rough, as it gives the staff more time to focus on greens and tee boxes.

However... It isn't fun if you're not playing well. In fact, even if you are playing well at the moment, the ground is rock hard and you can end up hitting a good drive, only to never see your ball again. The place I played the other day went from fairway to hip high rough in 5 yards. Not fun and expensive - I lost 5 balls!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The OP will know far better but the high grass in the pic in the first post looks like an area outside of the hole design i.e still part of the overall course (so not out of bounds) but not an area where play of the hole is to be expected. So it looks like its not rough, just jungle beyond the 8yrds of rough

Isn’t that pretty normal, the hole has fairway, edged with several yards of rough, then jungle (you’re not getting or playing a ball out the jungle)
I suppose in the past it might’ve been an area of 2nd cut rough so yes this’ll seem like a massive penalty or there are narrow fairways so again this’ll seem extreme but if its average fairway width plus 8 yards of rough then why is there any expectation to be able to play regardless of how wide/offline the shot was , isn't it ok to have an ‘inbounds’ boundary of sorts on certain holes, especially if a course lacks other boundaries such as bodies of water, thick wooded areas etc

Of course they may just be short a couple of GKs this summer so haven’t cut an area that’s normally only 3 inches deep :sneaky:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
The OP will know far better but the high grass in the pic in the first post looks like an area outside of the hole design i.e still part of the overall course (so not out of bounds) but not an area where play of the hole is to be expected. So it looks like its not rough, just jungle beyond the 8yrds of rough

Isn’t that pretty normal, the hole has fairway, edged with several yards of rough, then jungle (you’re not getting or playing a ball out the jungle)
I suppose in the past it might’ve been an area of 2nd cut rough so yes this’ll seem like a massive penalty or there are narrow fairways so again this’ll seem extreme but if its average fairway width plus 8 yards of rough then why is there any expectation to be able to play regardless of how wide/offline the shot was , isn't it ok to have an ‘inbounds’ boundary of sorts on certain holes, especially if a course lacks other boundaries such as bodies of water, thick wooded areas etc

Of course they may just be short a couple of GKs this summer so haven’t cut an area that’s normally only 3 inches deep :sneaky:

As I’ve said, this part of the course is very, very much in play. It’s a run-off area, five yards from the fairway, 200 yards from the tee at a dog leg. It gobbles up golf balls for fun.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree it’s a bit absurd for rough that’s in play…but what are the GKs supposed to do with the grass if they cut it down…let it lie where it’s cut? And how would they cut it…get a farmer in to cut and bale it? That might not be practical. Even trying to keep it under control as it grows would mean cutting it right down…and that might not be ideal…besides it’ll just grow again.

Billysboots

Visit site
I agree it’s a bit absurd for rough that’s in play…but what are the GKs supposed to do with the grass if they cut it down…let it lie where it’s cut? And how would they cut it…get a farmer in to cut and bale it? That might not be practical. Even trying to keep it under control as it grows would mean cutting it right down…and that might not be ideal…besides it’ll just grow again.

In the past using a baler has been exactly what they have had to do.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In the past using a baler has been exactly what they have had to do.
Fine and dandy at end of season when growing is done and it’s worthwhile for the farmer. That would probably involve cutting and baling much if not all of the long rough, and that could negatively impact the look and playing of the rest of the course.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem is letting it get like that in the first place.
The GK needs to stay on top of grass in the playing area.
Unless it was left on purpose.

Billysboots

Visit site
The problem is letting it get like that in the first place.
The GK needs to stay on top of grass in the playing area.
Unless it was left on purpose.

Agreed.

I actually think this was an oversight as the 5th is in the far corner of the course. I’m hoping that’s the case, anyway.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am told that many years ago 60s or 70s we had a lot of rough like that and they sold the silage rights. Most of the areas it used to grow are now covered in trees.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agreed.

I actually think this was an oversight as the 5th is in the far corner of the course. I’m hoping that’s the case, anyway.
If that’s an oversight the head GK needs his arse kicking.
It’s his job to look after the golf course.
That would cause many problems even if you cleared it you would not see the ball landing and would really slow things down.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If that’s an oversight the head GK needs his arse kicking.
It’s his job to look after the golf course.
That would cause many problems even if you cleared it you would not see the ball landing and would really slow things down.
How does a GK 'keep on top of it'? How long do members want the 'long rough' to be? GKs can't keep it to say 12"-18". They can cut it down altogether, which you probably don't want, and then have to gather it all up and pile it somewhere time and time again with the cutting invigorating the growth...or leave the cut grass lying where it has been cut - and that's never great your ball running into an area of cut grass.