When should you 'upgrade' clubs?

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com
Is there a stage/sign at which a beginner should upgrade their forgiving 'high handicapper' clubs for something aimed at medium/lower handicap players? If so, what benefits will you see?

I've been playing my Yonex VMXs for well over 18 months now and they were brilliant to get me going. But now, they feel really chunky and heavy and I feel like I might benefit from playing something with a smaller clubhead.

I tried the Ping i15s and also the Ping s56s - I couldn't hit the i15s for toffee, but got on really well with the s56s even though they're aimed at a much better player than I am. In particular, I found that with the s56s, the ball went wherever I aimed it (sounds obviously, but the dispersion of the Yonex irons is much wider).

That said, is it all a marketing gimmick and is there any actual benefit in upgrading clubs? If so, what's the trigger for doing so?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Is there a stage/sign at which a beginner should upgrade their forgiving 'high handicapper' clubs for something aimed at medium/lower handicap players? If so, what benefits will you see?

I've been playing my Yonex VMXs for well over 18 months now and they were brilliant to get me going. But now, they feel really chunky and heavy and I feel like I might benefit from playing something with a smaller clubhead.

I tried the Ping i15s and also the Ping s56s - I couldn't hit the i15s for toffee, but got on really well with the s56s even though they're aimed at a much better player than I am. In particular, I found that with the s56s, the ball went wherever I aimed it (sounds obviously, but the dispersion of the Yonex irons is much wider).

That said, is it all a marketing gimmick and is there any actual benefit in upgrading clubs? If so, what's the trigger for doing so?

Again I think it's personal choice Barry.

Some tour pros use cavity backs and GI irons so buying a player club isn't a neccecity.

I would say change when you feel it's your equipment holding you back and not your swing.