When it all goes wrong...

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Played 10 holes yesterday, played the first 5 holes 4 over par from the back sticks then accumulated a cricket score for the next 5.
Honestly didn't have a clue how to rectify what was going wrong, I know good players can get it round when they are not on it.

I think with me its all in the head, just beat myself up when its not going well.

What do you do when you are struggling, have you got a go to solution just to get round with a bit of respectability?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I think cricket is a good analogy so I'll continue your reference.

Sometimes if your getting hit all over to pitch all you can do is keep aiming for line and length, no point trying difference balls all over as it will never end well. If your lucky, you find line and length a couple of times, maybe get a couple of quick wickets, maybe get some form while limiting the damage.

Same for golf, keep playing for your stock shot, comcentrate on the fundamentals, wait for it to come to you. A couple birdies appear and your flying

If it doesnt, well we all have bad rounds but at least you'll limit the damage.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My mate lost the plot in a similar manner yesterday. Every driver was either an almighty slice, or when he tried to correct that, an almighty hook. He has no back-up plan at all so he just had a strop and stopped playing properly. He'd just drop a new ball on the fairway and smash one up towards the green, have one putt and pick it up. He really needs a go-to club to hit when the driver is off the planet, but he doesn't - or won't.

I used to get stroppy like that, the problem is that only makes things worse, or at least it continues in the same vein. Nowadays when the score is well and truly gone I stop caring and start laughing it off. Without fail when I take that view I do start playing a better and I'm generally able to enjoy the last 5 holes or so at least. It took a while to change my attitude in that way though, I read Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect by Bob Rotella which was really helpful, and watching Golf Sidekick on YouTube who says a lot of the same stuff. But yeah, I think you have to be able to laugh at yourself on a bad day rather than torture yourself mentally.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not a good player but equally that means I do get this scenario every so often. What works for me might not do for you but this is what I do:

Slow down my swing significantly
Reduce the width of my stance, means I don't overswing
Remember a couple of key basic swing thoughts (for me it is swing and get the left shoulder under my chin, keep my left arm straight)

I do the above and nothing more. It keeps things very simple and corrects the ship. Forget your scoring at that point and just get back to hitting the ball cleanly and straight. When you start to feel more confident again you can open the shoulders.

I think the analogy from @sweaty sock is a very good one, as long as you have played cricket :LOL::)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You need to know a bit about the swing, not a lot, just a bit to stop things going down hill fast.

In my opinion there's only 2 things in golf to worry about.
1. How you hit.
2. Where you hit it.

If you're having a bad day with how you hit it so you're duffing/topping/thining, the chances are you are swaying all over the place.
On course fix.....keep your head still.

If your problem is where you hit it... slicing/hooking that's down to the swing path and clubface direction.
On course fix...check your grip (clubface) and ease off the power (swingpath)

If you're having problems with 1 and 2, I think Smiffy is looking for a fishing chum

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Golf is not a game of perfect is a great book, as mentioned by Orikuro. Well worth a read to understand the mental side.
Bob's advice is amazing, and I'm going to be following that from now on. Bar the bit about fishing with Smiffy of course!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I start struggling ( yes I have lately ) I go to a 9 to 3 pm swing and just hit another club.
It helps get your swing back into some sort of rhythm .
I have even laid up on holes and just chipped on this takes big scores off the card.
line and length if you lose one it’s not to bad but lose both and it’s a struggle.
But it’s only a game . I think of people less fortunate than me that usually puts some perspective on it.
I will play better next time out.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I tend to go back to basics and look at where the ball is going, for me when it goes wrong it goes left, I know my swing better since I've had lessons with Marty and can usually fix the problem. Check your basics and try to make sure you go back to them.?

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
You need to know a bit about the swing, not a lot, just a bit to stop things going down hill fast.

In my opinion there's only 2 things in golf to worry about.
1. How you hit.
2. Where you hit it.

If you're having a bad day with how you hit it so you're duffing/topping/thining, the chances are you are swaying all over the place.
On course fix.....keep your head still.

If your problem is where you hit it... slicing/hooking that's down to the swing path and clubface direction.
On course fix...check your grip (clubface) and ease off the power (swingpath)

If you're having problems with 1 and 2, I think Smiffy is looking for a fishing chum

The problem was just hitting the thing, think I could of been swaying and trying to leather the bloody thing.
Im back out this afternoon so some things to work on.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
When this happens to me I tend to concentrate on course management. If I end up in trouble I look at the percentage play and try to get the ball back in play. Even if this means chipping out, or taking an unplayable, I tell myself that the shot I just took has saved myself 2 by not trying the hero shot and getting into worse trouble. Gets the confidence back and a lot of the time I get round the rest of the holes in a reasonable score

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem was just hitting the thing, think I could of been swaying and trying to leather the bloody thing.
Im back out this afternoon so some things to work on.
I find a lot of people swing to far anyway.
We are not flexible enough to swing like them on the telly.
If you overswing your body has to sway to accommodate.
By shortening the swing you can keep your head steady.
Give it a go today.

jamiet7682

Visit site
I just dont hit the clubs that are putting me in trouble, even if it means teeing off with a 7 iron. It means your probably not going to get to some greens in regulation but keeps high scores off the card.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I just dont hit the clubs that are putting me in trouble, even if it means teeing off with a 7 iron. It means your probably not going to get to some greens in regulation but keeps high scores off the card.

It's not one particular club with me, I just seem to lose the ability to hit the ball any great distance.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
B
It's not one particular club with me, I just seem to lose the ability to hit the ball any great distance.
Brian, having seen you play there isn't anything wrong with your swing, it's pretty good tbh, but the thing I did notice when we have played is you do decelerate on the downswing, I'd go and see marty if possible. Failing that cjust have a go at smashing it harder?

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When it goes really wrong for me I just put down to 'one of those days'. If I cannot sort it out quickly after the first 2-3 holes (like today) I tend to stop worrying about and just try to enjoy the rest of the round without worrying about the score.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I feel your pain Brian. Annoying thing was one day I could shoot couple over par and the next day 16/20 over. I have regular lessons and the problem is not with the swing but with my head. After trying to sort it myself without any results I went to see Karl Morris. Was told to create a picture in my head of the shoot I want to play. Next step was on the practice swing feel like you actually hitting that shot you created in your head. If the swing felt good step to the ball and hit it. First thing I noticed after doing that on every shoot was not thinking about technical aspect of my swing. It worked wonders with my chipping.
Even the best in the world don't strike ball perfect every time, after hitting few wild ones as amateurs sometimes overthinking our swing.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was cruising last night at -1 gross after 7 holes, then bogeyed an easy hole followed by another, wasn’t that rattled. But then played a good tee shot around the dog leg tried to muscle a wedge to the pin at 150 yards because it was a low spin lie And down win. Ended up on a down slope with grass all around the ball and none under it and a bunker in front… 6 shots later I finished the hole.
I was a bit ambitious with my distances and took too much on but I have been working on being committed to the shot and trying to stay in it as that generates better results … I ended up 10 over for 18 but I was knackered and the last 3 holes I dropped shots when on the green in regulation. But this was a practice round, I carried ( I don’t in competition) , and the greens had been seeded - so not perfect. Still aching today, so being less ambitious with distances and playing a little more gently is required ?

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Was murder yesterday as well, was hooking absolutely everything, the more I tried to fix it the worse it got ??
Going to get a lesson ?