When is the right time?

Franco

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On a number of occasions, I have seen players in the rough, nudge the ball with their club to improve the lie. This has been in roll-up comps and I have said nothing. There are a couple of club comps coming up and I would like to know when is the appropriate time to call the penalty. Is it when the infringement takes place or after the hole is played and the cards are being marked with the score?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On a number of occasions, I have seen players in the rough, nudge the ball with their club to improve the lie. This has been in roll-up comps and I have said nothing. There are a couple of club comps coming up and I would like to know when is the appropriate time to call the penalty. Is it when the infringement takes place or after the hole is played and the cards are being marked with the score?

We could all do this when nobody is looking and could see so I wouldn't do anything up front before a comp round - trying to pre-empt a situation that might not arise is tricky. I think the way to stop it happening without upset or discomfort is first time you see it happen in a comp simply ask him there and then if the ball moved before he played his shot (without specifying how it might have moved). He can lie if he wants but he now knows it's been noticed and so is unlikely to do it again. He might say yes - not realising he's not allowed to do and so you tell him and call the shot in him.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Call it there and then.
I saw an "ex" mate of mine cheat a few years ago and didn't call it.
It has bugged me ever since.
I will never play with the bloke again as we were all amongst mates on a week-end away and it stank.
He didn't take the money that trip, but took it plenty of times before, and I dread to think what he got away with in the past when nobody was watching.
I hate fecking cheats.
:angry:

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you see it in a roll up, call it then and there.Dont wait for a comp.

SILH suggestion of "did the ball move?" is a good way of approaching it first time rather than "did you move it?"

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Call it immediately.

How you do it will depend on the situation - and has potential to turn into a major issue (part of the reason some don't call it imo)!

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Call it immediately.

How you do it will depend on the situation - and has potential to turn into a major issue (part of the reason some don't call it imo)!

+1. Call it immediately. If you don't, it can only make matters worse - like more penalties! If your FC or PP makes an infringement, it's best to call it when there's still a chance for them to:
1. Correct their error
2. While they can still recall the incident in question
3. Nobody wants a DQ

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If you see it in a roll up, call it then and there.Dont wait for a comp.

SILH suggestion of "did the ball move?" is a good way of approaching it first time rather than "did you move it?"

Indeed - he answers No you know he is fibbiing and too stupid to realise why you asked. Follow up question can be more forthright. He says Yes and he can then explain what happened. Again he would have to be very stupid to come up with some other scenario and not realise you will have seen him move it.