When is it time?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When is it time to become a nomad again?

Joined my 1st club last year and absolutely love it but can't get out enough to justify paying the monthly subs. Looked at my HDID and only played 4 times this year. My membership is only £40 a month but that works out at £70 per round so far and I think I only played 10 rounds last year when my membership was £30.

I love the club and being part of it, the members are great and have met some really nice people whilst at the club. The course is fantastic, very challenging (hence the handicap increase) and feel I'd become a much better player playing there if I could get out enough.

Family life, work, college, season ticket at City plus DJ work doesn't leave me with enough spare time to get out enough. My next round that is penciled in is Sat 26th Aug due to holidays etc. 3 months after my last round!!

Have you kept your membership on in the hope that you can get out more, for handicap purposes or have you decided enough is enough and you can't justify paying for something that your not using?

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't have these problems I play 2 or 3 times a week.

Have they got any flexible membership options?

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
If you have only played 14 times since you joined in nearly 2 years then I think it's time to leave. Wouldn't it be much cheaper to just pay the daily fee when you turn up and if you're only playing every couple of months a handicap isn't going to be top priority.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I let mine go last year.

With having a new arrival in the family and my core group of friends I play with moving away, I just wasn't going to be using my membership more than once or twice a month, which would have worked out at c. £60 per round.

Instead I've been playing a few different courses in the area. I've actually managed to play 4 times in the last 10 days and it's cost me about £110 to do so, but in total I still won't spend anything like my £900 membership fees across the year.

I found the monthly payment going out of my account when I was still a member to be a bit of a millstone around my neck. I felt it put me under pressure to play as otherwise I was wasting money. Whereas now, I play if I can, and if I can't, it doesn't cost me anything.

The main downside is access to a decent course at peak time at the weekend. Ideally I'd play early on a Saturday or Sunday, but that option has gone with my membership. I also miss just being able to turn up and play 5 or 6 holes in an evening, which again is a luxury that comes with membership. Overall though, I have no regrets.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I let mine go last year.

With having a new arrival in the family and my core group of friends I play with moving away, I just wasn't going to be using my membership more than once or twice a month, which would have worked out at c. £60 per round.

Instead I've been playing a few different courses in the area. I've actually managed to play 4 times in the last 10 days and it's cost me about £110 to do so, but in total I still won't spend anything like my £900 membership fees across the year.

I found the monthly payment going out of my account when I was still a member to be a bit of a millstone around my neck. I felt it put me under pressure to play as otherwise I was wasting money. Whereas now, I play if I can, and if I can't, it doesn't cost me anything.

The main downside is access to a decent course at peak time at the weekend. Ideally I'd play early on a Saturday or Sunday, but that option has gone with my membership. I also miss just being able to turn up and play 5 or 6 holes in an evening, which again is a luxury that comes with membership. Overall though, I have no regrets.

Very similar. Played social rounds as I can work around the family etc plus nip out on flexi during work but can't get to the club to play comps as it doesn't fit in as easy.

I've been up for a quick 9 after work which is great and been on the range a few times but feel like I need to get more out of the comps than just the odd practice knock. Feel the milestone too.

I do miss my social rounds with mates too. Need to think about it but think it may come to an end.

Chokeahontas

Medal Winner
Visit site
I did a flexible membership as others say here. I play every week, and it still works out more cost effective, plus I can play other courses without feeling like I'm being charged twice. I don't want to only play one course.

I honestly don't understand how people who work full-time can get the benefit from the full membership at our place - or anywhere locally.

But, for the initial £200 to spend on guest green fees, I get a managed handicap, entry to competitions, the ability to sign others in at guest rates and all the discount full members get. Hopefully I'll play enough to need to top this up towards the end of the summer...

D

Deleted Member 1156

Give up work, family life, DJ'ing and your season ticket. This time next year you'll be Cat 1 :thup:

Mastercracker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Laughing at the small chickens aside, you sound to be in pretty much the same situation as I was a couple of years ago. I had full membership but because of a myriad of other commitments including watching and playing football, I just didn't get value for money. Golf ended up being shoehorned into the small window between football finishing and starting again, which when you're paying circa £950 a year just doesn't make sense. Head eventually ruled heart and I cancelled it.

Around this time when the weather is nice and I have more free time I find myself looking at local courses and wishing I was a member somewhere. I miss having a proper handicap and the goal of lowering it plus the competitive aspect and I miss the option of playing a few holes on an evening after work, but when you look back and work out you've ended up paying twice the guest price per round, it just doesn't make sense.

We also seem to live in an area of relatively high cost memberships which doesn't help. I have family in East Yorkshire and courses over there seem to be circa 70% of the cost for the equivalent quality.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Laughing at the small chickens aside, you sound to be in pretty much the same situation as I was a couple of years ago. I had full membership but because of a myriad of other commitments including watching and playing football, I just didn't get value for money. Golf ended up being shoehorned into the small window between football finishing and starting again, which when you're paying circa £950 a year just doesn't make sense. Head eventually ruled heart and I cancelled it.

Around this time when the weather is nice and I have more free time I find myself looking at local courses and wishing I was a member somewhere. I miss having a proper handicap and the goal of lowering it plus the competitive aspect and I miss the option of playing a few holes on an evening after work, but when you look back and work out you've ended up paying twice the guest price per round, it just doesn't make sense.

We also seem to live in an area of relatively high cost memberships which doesn't help. I have family in East Yorkshire and courses over there seem to be circa 70% of the cost for the equivalent quality.

That's the thing, to play Baildon you get on from £10-20 dependant on what time you want to play. For me to be paying double/treble that just doesn't seem worth it - at the moment.

I love everything about being a member there and my membership is fairly cheap compared but it isn't when you don't play.

Enjoy your season in the Premiership. Can you sell Nahki please and get us some money.

Mastercracker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's the thing, to play Baildon you get on from £10-20 dependant on what time you want to play. For me to be paying double/treble that just doesn't seem worth it - at the moment.

I love everything about being a member there and my membership is fairly cheap compared but it isn't when you don't play.

Enjoy your season in the Premiership. Can you sell Nahki please and get us some money.

I like Nahki (think you'd be very surprised at how different a player he is now), but he doesn't 100% suit our style. He's probably 3rd choice already and only has 12 months left. Wouldn't be all that surprised if he left before the end of the window.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Are there not any pay as you play memberships? I have just joined a club for an annual fee of £70 and then I only pay when I play and get a reduced green fee rate. It works out at like £16 a round and I still get entrance to all comps etc.

I'm actually playing more than I ever did since joining a club!

Mastercracker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are there not any pay as you play memberships? I have just joined a club for an annual fee of £70 and then I only pay when I play and get a reduced green fee rate. It works out at like £16 a round and I still get entrance to all comps etc.

I'm actually playing more than I ever did since joining a club!

None like that my way, which is a shame as it would definitely suit.

Mastercracker

Assistant Pro
Visit site

For a municipal it's quite decent actually. However, while its pretty close to me in terms of miles, it's the wrong side of Huddersfield to me so it's a pig to get to requiring a drive straight through Town. It's actually my nearest driving range since Direct Golf closed but getting there is awful.

It's also earmarked for a massive housing development any time soon. Members have been fighting it but the local council are adamant they are selling the land to meet housing quotas.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH, if the money is a issue then yes. You could prob play a green fee every time you wanted to play and it would work out miles cheaper, by the sounds of it you could play a top 100 course and still work out cheaper at the rate you are playing;)

But if its not and you enjoy club life and the opportunity to play when you like, even though you don't, i'd keep my membership just in case

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like everything in life, it's about choices. Only you can choose what to keep or what to drop. However, £40 a month membership is bloody cheap, compared to down this way. But it's a life choice only you can make.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Planning to go the other way, local 9 holer does membership through a season ticket giving discount rates on rounds. Bit further away than the par 3 I play now but a step up as it has par 4 holes!

Won't cost me more than £500 a year I bet, I will play 1-3 times a month depending.

Will be great to have a handicap and play competitions again! Makes me wonder what handicap I could get.