when is a kick

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
to the head not a kick to the head?

When it is against a chinese competitor in her own country at tae kwon do.
I couldn't believe that the lass from Donny wasn't given the points that would have beaten the twice olympic champ.
How could a number of judges miss a clear kick to the head when the other girls head jolted back. Talk about rigged.

Thankfully we appealed and the decision was overturned but it just goes to show how corrupt some of these judges are.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree. I caught some of the diving the other day and there was clear favouritism towards the Chines divers. They were doing dives with a lower tarrif of difficulty and not executing them that well and still getting 9.0's

I also saw a Chinese gymnast fall off a piece of apparatus and still finish with really high marks and qualified for the finals of that event.

I thought these events were supposed to be judged by a multinational panel of experts but it does seem as though there may have been some behind the scenes barganining (or brown envelopes) involved at these games

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
It's happened again.

Boxing....Chinese guy beats the Irish fella. Looks like many Irish point scoring opportunities went, missed by the judges. The Irish bloke should feel well robbed. The games have done little to help the Chinese spirit of fair play.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately TaeKwonDo has had a bad name for this sort or thing for years. I trained for a couple of years under a World Championship bronze medalist and even then it was reputed for it's corruption.

A great sport but political infighting abounds. Watched the matches with interest. What was that guy thinking about, kicking the judge in the head?! A well deserved life ban....and he should consider himself lucky not to be languishing in a Chinese prison as we speak.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
why are you surprised? this demonstrates the case for the exclusion of all events judged on opinion not measurable fact.
the scoring standards in the boxing in particular was pitiful, as were the referees (our gold medal winner was lucky not to have been dq'd in some earlier bouts for his habit of sticking in the elbow and hitting after a break).
it's been happening for years in a variety of sports most especially gymnastics and ice skating though the bias used to be more heavily weighted in favour of the eastern bloc.
unfortunately we can't expect the same bias toward the host nation come 2012.

HartleyHare

Assistant Pro
Visit site
why are you surprised? this demonstrates the case for the exclusion of all events judged on opinion not measurable fact.
the scoring standards in the boxing in particular was pitiful, as were the referees (our gold medal winner was lucky not to have been dq'd in some earlier bouts for his habit of sticking in the elbow and hitting after a break).
it's been happening for years in a variety of sports most especially gymnastics and ice skating though the bias used to be more heavily weighted in favour of the eastern bloc.
unfortunately we can't expect the same bias toward the host nation come 2012.

spot on Viscount, exactly what i was about to post myself.
when you've spent 4 years training it's a bit of pi$$ take to lose out based on someones (often skewed) opinion.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why doesn't the boxing scoring system work like the Wii where everytime you land one a light comes on. I watched the boxing and it was not good old fashioned toe to toe ... it was all about points and not actually about knocking seven shades of silent night out of the opponent. Could you imagine Tyson poncing around ??? He would just rag doll the guy.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why doesn't the boxing scoring system work like the Wii where everytime you land one a light comes on. I watched the boxing and it was not good old fashioned toe to toe ... it was all about points and not actually about knocking seven shades of silent night out of the opponent. Could you imagine Tyson poncing around ??? He would just rag doll the guy.

Not 100% sure but did Tyson not win an Olympic gold before turning Pro.

HartleyHare

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why doesn't the boxing scoring system work like the Wii

I reckon you could be onto a winner there, Madandra.

all the Olympics should be on Daley Thompsons track and field, it'd save about 50 billion quid every 4 years!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
how about something simple. contact pressure pads in the gloves, you hit hard enough, light comes on, you score. if you take a sufficiently hard punch on the arm it's going to have some effect on your ability to hit so just increase the scoring area.