When Greenkeepers fall out of love...... How is your course this year?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We're just coming to the end of our second year with our new head greenkeeper. He came from the same role at Trump Aberdeen and he has transformed the course. He has brought enthusiasm, good team management and more modern ideas than our previous head greenkeeper. As a result there is a general concensus that the course is looking better than it has done for years, despite being on reduced staff at the start of the year. They've rebuilt two greens, put in more drainage, profiled the fairways and got the greens into excellent condition.
The rough is heavier in places but that's due to the green staff prioritising the tees, fairways and green. Notwithstanding that, our head greenkeeper still apologises to members it should be better but that's due to his own high standards.
So overall, I'd say that we're in a really good place.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Our greens are fabulous!
Rest of the course is really good too - except, understandably, for bunkers which are not being raked and pick/place is in action. Bunkers have actually been the one area I'd rate as 'not good enough' so not really an 'added' issue.
We hosted one of the Rose Series Ladies tournaments and comments were very complimentary.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
ours is crap tbh

about 6 of the greens have what looks like that fungus ... tee boxes are a clip too different length grass in patches and the 6th fairway is a joke majority of it should be GUR

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Considering what has gone on and up until the last week or so we have had no rainfall in Suffolk our course is in great condition apart from the bunkers. The guidance around (non) use of bunker rakes and asking folks to smooth with foot or club, which simply doesn't work, has resulted in them being an absolute mess. Even a local rule allowing relief from a footprint doesnt help much.

Our greens are great....little bit slower than possibly expected but the greenkeepers cant shave them down to the bones in this hot weather....but they run smooth and true.

No complaints other than the bunkers....but I expect a lot of work to be done on them in the coming months, including the filling in of roughly 2 dozen of them!!

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Mass Exodus at one golf club I was previously a member at, all the greens destroyed by leatherjackets. Never been an issue before but with lockdown and fairly new owners putting too tight a grip on essential course maintenance I feel the head greenkeeper was past caring and I believe simple steps that could have been taken to prevent this were not considered likely due to lack of enthusiasm as a result of all the hurdles they were facing with faulty machinery, and no budget. I know certain pesticides can't be used now which doesn't but other greenkeepers have sweated them out from what i've seen.

The new owner seems to think the membership renewals are just a bonus to funnel towards his hospitality orientated goals and no money needs re-investing into the course itself. Instead clubhouse re-furbishment is underway and a marquee structure was built just in time for lockdown in readiness for 2020 hospitality season which was scuppered. Been at least 5 dozen people move to other courses, some not bother joining anywhere and other grin and baring it. In an attempt to funnel money into the club the Captains charity last year raised half funds for re-investment into the course and half to the air ambulance.

The portion for the club has been fully spent on a mini-bus and a lodge which is being fronted as a 'half way house'. Both which support the owner and his hospitality focussed efforts which rubbed many up the wrong way. Especially when it was previously hinted this would go on much needed items for the greenkeepers which would help tidy up the course.

The course at best has been ok over the years but mostly a bit rough around the edges, I was there for years for the craic with good friends and banter rather than the quality of the course which other memberships were reserved for. This has been lost it seems, even down to the pro leaving and members giving their time voluntarily to man the shop and take money from unsuspecting green fees which have been keeping the course busy as no members even want to play it due to the poor state.

Shambles.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Consisering that the course was closed for 6 weeks with just 2 greenstaff doing essential maintenance,
only another two allowed to join them for a few afterwards and only back to a full compliment a few weeks ago,
the total lack of rain until last week,
the water pump failing in the bore hole with the replacement having to come from Italy so only essental irrigation for a few weeks.

All in all I think the greens staff have done a wonderful job.

One thing they cannot control is the bird damage on the greens and the shear number of unreplaced divots. The members normally take out divot sand and seed bags to repair them on way round but they are banned under covid rules.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our place is in great condition, apart from the bunkers which I understand are a project down the line. Our head green keeper joined early last year and has great enthusiasm and has made a number of improvements.

Was told last week by a member of a more prestigious club locally that our place was in much better condition than theirs.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mass Exodus at one golf club I was previously a member at, all the greens destroyed by leatherjackets.

.[/QUOTE

It is not the leather jackets themselves but the birds digging them out to feed on . Going to be a problem on lots of course because the chemicals that were used to kill the leatherjscket grubs have now been banned.

We are trying a 'mechanical' method at the moment. The green is cover by a tarpaulin the night before which makes the grubs rise to the surface. In the morning the tarp is taken of and all the grubs are bushed up and discarded well away from the green.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think our traditional Members Club course on Surrey/ Hampshire Borders is in splendid condition - I have no complaints whatsoever and I’m not hearing any from other members I play with - though I am sure the complaints will be somewhere with some. That’s said I can’t compare relatively as I haven’t played anywhere else local or otherwise all year. We have some high standard local competition (Hankley, Camberley Heath, Hindhead, Liphook) so comparisons are always going to be challenging in any case.

We are lucky having invested in fairway and tee watering many years ago and we are 2/3 the way through rebuilding every bunker on the course as well as building some new ones and taking a couple out. The new bunkers look great; they visually change much for the better the look of some of the holes and add new challenge on quite a few others.

We changed head greenkeeper a few years ago. The previous incumbent was essentially a ‘soil and grass scientist’ - almost obsessed with getting the subsoil and grass perfect and some would say less concerned about the look and presentation of the course - though it has always been good. The new guy (the previous head assistant) is fortunate to be able to build on the excellent work his predecessor did under and on the surface to really push on with what we actually play. We part furloughed the greens team so a skeleton staff were able to keep on top of things and so have got back to good really very quickly.

So happy golfer. Next up when funds permit - dealing with the part of the course that occasionally suffers from water logging and flooding. Plans are afoot.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Thanks to those posting info on the usga greens
On thread topic, different season here but I've only played three courses since lockdown ended, two are European tour courses and third (new build) probably will be
All are in great condition, prob better than usual for the time is year due to no tourists
Playing Ernie els sig course and ET venue tomorrow and I expect it to be in tip top condition from practice area to 18th green, manicured fairways and fast greens

HarryHiggsHips

Visit site
our general manager likes to utilize the term 'unprecedented weather' when it comes to challenges about course condition. One wonders how many dry and hot summers and wet winters consecutively constitute 'normal' instead of 'unprecedented' ? i always think a decent course plan incorporates drainage/irrigation improvements rather than trolley stores, changing room carpet replacements and the like. its a difficult balance.

interesting that many posters share the slightly longer/slower greens this year. a deliberate ploy to protect the greens for the only summer not full of competitions and pro ams etc?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
interesting that many posters share the slightly longer/slower greens this year. a deliberate ploy to protect the greens for the only summer not full of competitions and pro ams etc?
Wish ours had been left a bit longer/slower - putting has been worst bit of my game this summer - and it was fine first week or so back before they got them up to normal speed.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve never played it myself but local consensus has always been Hartley Witney is a 9 month a year course due to drainage issues.

They certainly won’t have been alone struggling with the weather patterns of recent years.

Shed maintenance and carpets come out of a normal operating budget, drainage and irrigation having been through it are much more significant in terms of investment, planning and disruption. Members have to want it and be prepared to fund it. I know we had to vote it through at our AGM.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We are struggling with several fairways as they were overplayed when saturated over winter and despite reseading in spring didn't improve due to lack of water. We have had winter rules all year. Hopefully a good winter program and mild weather may do the trick.