When do you think you will next play golf?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My away course (Woodhall Spa) has a slope ratings of 149 (yellows) and 159 ( whites) on the Hotchkin, so I’d say you might have fat fingers and you meant to type 135?

It is in fact 155 which is the maximum of the Slope range

so I’d say you might have fat fingers and you meant to type 155?

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
Usually played into or down wind over first few holes. Par 5 first hole uphill into wind is a good start. But in lower part course wind tends to swirl a lot Due to lots trees .. Good test of golf any day, with a tough finishing stretch, many a good card wrecked on last few holes
There are some people I play with that won't go back to Skipton because it was too hilly for them. I need to talk a couple people into going back out there again....especially since Skipton has a partnership deal with our course (Knaresborough).

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Don't know if you were just joking or not....but saying "Thats not a golf course, it’s an open field, you can miss the fairways 100yds left or right and still see the green ? " could very easily be taken as a dig at the course.....and then follow it up with pics of very tight courses that you play (and they DID look to be death if you can't hit straight). If you were joking.....my apologies.

Feel free to miss the fairway 100yards right. Would leave you about 190yards minimum to green with OB behind. Oh and trees to get up and over first. pictures can be deceivin.. oh and coming back other way is all internal OB ..

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
There are some people I play with that won't go back to Skipton because it was too hilly for them. I need to talk a couple people into going back out there again....especially since Skipton has a partnership deal with our course (Knaresborough).

you do and knaresborough is great track. Was on our list of courses to visit with the reciprocal deal this year. Hopefully still will. Hopefully you can talk your mates into coming back, see new layout. Still a few hills though lol

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is Skipton yes, new holes and course layout less than two years old as environment agency built a dam on old 16th and 17th to stop town flooding. Built two new Par 4 and changed few holes.
where is your course? As two of us coming to Dunstanburgh in June hopefully for the two day open. Great event if you fancy it.
I'm at Burgham, just north of Morpeth. It's quite long but open, similar in looks to the picture you posted of Skipton. You will pass it on the way up to Dunstanburgh. Unfortunately I can't see your event being on, it will be a month or two too early for Opens I suspect.

I swing between liking and disliking dunstanburgh in equal amounts. It depends on the wind, the height of the rough at the time of playing. On its day it can be a cracker with rapid greens. If it goes ahead I hope the weather is kind to you.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is Skipton yes, new holes and course layout less than two years old as environment agency built a dam on old 16th and 17th to stop town flooding. Built two new Par 4 and changed few holes.
where is your course? As two of us coming to Dunstanburgh in June hopefully for the two day open. Great event if you fancy it.
Ah , not a part of the world I've been too .So like courses with views of hills and farming is a bonus .
Would prefer to have some shaping on the fairway to reflect the rolling hills in the background

Fish

Banned
Visit site
It is in fact 155 which the maximum of the Slope range

so I’d say you might have fat fingers and you meant to type 155?

it is in fact 151 with the blue being slightly more at 152....?

Just 1 extra for the blues is madness, the whites back on the stones is tough enough, which is why on competition Medal days you can choose to play of the yellows or whites.
D57363DA-D1E1-479C-A647-5A69BD8FF0C9.png

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
I'm at Burgham, just north of Morpeth. It's quite long but open, similar in looks to the picture you posted of Skipton. You will pass it on the way up to Dunstanburgh. Unfortunately I can't see your event being on, it will be a month or two too early for Opens I suspect.

I swing between liking and disliking dunstanburgh in equal amounts. It depends on the wind, the height of the rough at the time of playing. On its day it can be a cracker with rapid greens. If it goes ahead I hope the weather is kind to you.

Is that Burgham Park? If so played it years ago not long after opened, few Newcastle team used to live in the rather large houses in middle. Great track and yes definitely bit like ours.
I talked to guy in charge at Dunstanburgh and he says if course open it will be on, in some shape or form. I agree great track if wind kind, last year was a gale both days very tough but played with some great guys from the area.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is that Burgham Park? If so played it years ago not long after opened, few Newcastle team used to live in the rather large houses in middle. Great track and yes definitely bit like ours.
I talked to guy in charge at Dunstanburgh and he says if course open it will be on, in some shape or form. I agree great track if wind kind, last year was a gale both days very tough but played with some great guys from the area.
Yes, Burgham Park. It's developed since you would have played it. Trees have grown, given it shape etc but it is still quite open. The houses are still there but the footballers have moved on ?. They are now in Tranwell Woods or the classic Darrass Hall in Ponteland. The houses are still nice, just not big or nice enough for the modern millionaire footballer ?.

That sounds positive about the open ?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
it is in fact 151 with the blue being slightly more at 152....?

Just 1 extra for the blues is madness, the whites back on the stones is tough enough, which is why on competition Medal days you can choose to play of the yellows or whites.
View attachment 30544
Possibly done to encourage different handicaps to play off different tees in the same comp

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wonder how many people still don't understand what Slope is actually a measure of and just how it relates (or doesn't) to course difficulty.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wonder how many people still don't understand what Slope is actually a measure of and just how it relates (or doesn't) to course difficulty.

I suspect a very small proportion of golfers understand what it actually represents, and the rest are divided between those who misunderstand it, and those who have never heard of it.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Possibly done to encourage different handicaps to play off different tees in the same comp

But mainly because many wouldn’t enter if it was only off the whites, many seniors cant reach the fairway off the whites, but still want to play in comps.

With non-gender tees and them all slope rated, I might give the reds a go ?

Mandofred

Visit site
What? Shows what I know. I just assumed during a medal the tees would be the same for everyone with no choice.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suspect a very small proportion of golfers understand what it actually represents, and the rest are divided between those who misunderstand it, and those who have never heard of it.
I also wonder why people use par to indicate the difficulty of a course.
Par tells us nothing. SSS and now CR were invented for that purpose.

18 x 275 yard par 4s
18 x 450 yard par 4s
Both are course par 72 - what does that tell us?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
What? Shows what I know. I just assumed during a medal the tees would be the same for everyone with no choice.

It’s effectively 2 comps on a single day as each tee has its own Standard Scratch, encourages more participants, so a Medal Day to suit everyone.