Whats your view!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Iv been reading some posts recently about Bandits and the like but it got me thinking about the other side of the coin....
What are peoples views for arguments sake for a player that plays off a given handicap but doesnt play overly well and doesnt hand in his card.....
This player although not abiding by the club rules isnt letting his handicap rise higher than what he currently plays off as he knows that it does not reflect what he is capable of on a regularbasis......Is this player seen as a cheat also?

Just for the record im not talking about yours truly.....
Its more of an observation from the flipside on recent posts on cheating.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Every card should be handed in. By not handing in a bad card I believe that you are artificially reducing the CSS and thus cutting the handicap reductions achieved by others.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I feel that anyone who tried to preserve the lower handicap without entering proper regular competitions, are deluding themselves. Basically any comps they do enter, they are pretty much donating their fee to the winner as they are not competitive off their handicap.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I feel that anyone who tried to preserve the lower handicap without entering proper regular competitions, are deluding themselves. Basically any comps they do enter, they are pretty much donating their fee to the winner as they are not competitive off their handicap.

Just about sums me up

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
:D :D
lol a bit like entering the lottery with 1,2,3,4,5&6 as your picks! haha I felt like that on Saturday!

Just about sums me up

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I played at a 9 holer years ago we were turning and guys waiting at our 10th (their 1st) told us someone was in with a nett 64 and the guy I was with turned in 35 off of 4 and NR'd at 15 when he was 2 over par. His reason was if he wasnt going to win he wasn't going to hand his card in.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I played at a 9 holer years ago we were turning and guys waiting at our 10th (their 1st) told us someone was in with a nett 64 and the guy I was with turned in 35 off of 4 and NR'd at 15 when he was 2 over par. His reason was if he wasnt going to win he wasn't going to hand his card in.

So is this player then labelled as a bandit then also?

Zeek

Medal Winner
Visit site
:D :D
lol a bit like entering the lottery with 1,2,3,4,5&6 as your picks! haha I felt like that on Saturday!

Why not? Probability wise it's as good a choice as any other!! ;)

Apparently, 10k people a week play those numbers, so they won't be happy if they do ever come up!

SharkAttack

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I may be wrong but surely once you enter a competition if you don't return a card it is classed as a N/R and your handicap goes up 0.1 or whatever anyway.

Surely there are not clubs that let you decide if you are going to enter a competition once you come off the course.

Shark

B

birdieman

I agree with Sharkattack, you're going to get a 0.1 even if your card is in the box or not, all the match and handicap will do is ask the player in questions playing partners if he played or not.

GasMan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
And how about 1 particular person who I practice with regularly?

1) His handicap is 20.
2) He strikes the ball like a single figure handicapper.
3) I rarely see him miss a fairway or green in regulation when we play.
4) Putting/chipping is his weakness but 3 putts are once or twice a round when we play.
5) Off the medal tees in practise if he shoots 80 (+8) he'll be VERY annoyed at the way he's played.

Describe the above person to me and it's almost the definition of a bandit YET put him in a medal or stableford in a field of players and he'll struggle to play to his handicap.

On the flipside put him up against a single player in strokeplay/matchplay/stableford and he'll play just like he does in practise if not better!

I don't know what he is but he is totally open and honest with anybody who asks about his game and nobody calls him a bandit to my knowledge. It's almost a standing joke how he can't raise his game in competition bar singles play.

Other point don't slag off people who don't enter the comps regularly at their club especially if they're held on Sunday mornings as pretty much all of ours are. I would love to play them but combined with having to work 1 in 6 Sundays, my girlfriend works away 5 days a week 100 miles away. If I play on a Sunday moring in the comp I wave goodbye to 1/4 of our time together for the entire week.

I want to hand in more cards as I don't feel my handicap is 100% representative of what I score but give me midweek medals/stablefords to play in and I'll hand in a card at least once a fortnight. Keep them all on weekends and there will always be "bandits" who can't waste their sunday morning to play in a drawn group.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I agree with Sharkattack, you're going to get a 0.1 even if your card is in the box or not, all the match and handicap will do is ask the player in questions playing partners if he played or not.

Not necessarily. We operate a manual sign in system so the only way we can put in the non returned cards is to manually check each returned card against the list which we will only do once in a while as a spot check as it's so time consuming. We have this system for good reasons but it does create a problem. What puzzles me is that golf is supposed to be a game of integrity where observance of the rules is fundamental but all that goes out of the window when it comes to the rules of handicapping. The rules say return your card - end of.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you do not hand in a card, you should get the usual increase.

If you do hand in a card, even though you do not complete a medal round, you may still be cut based on the stableford correction, if say you had 39 points after 17 but hit 4 balls OOB on the 18th and didn't complete the hole.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We use PSI to sign in before a competition. Its mandatory now and if you don't its a D/Q irrespective of how well or badly you do. It has taken a little while for the penny to drop but most members have got to grip with the concept now

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have just handed in my medal card with the worst score ever since I joined my club.
Only 0.1 up???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site
0.1 is the max increase you can get, as the system recognises that anyone can have a 'mare. If you could go up more, I suspect you might see a few 120+ returns the week before the club champs ;)

C

CannyFifer

It annoys a good few members on our local when you get N/R's from the good players as it doesnt make the CSS correct. This comes from the good players who do submit all their cards. At the end of the day it's a hobby and the handicap reflects how you are playing so why not hand it in