What's your most lofted wedge?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
58 which is purely used for flop shots. Rarely, more than twice a round. 54 for bunkers.

Same here, have a 58 but I rarely use it, maybe for little dinks from the side of the green when I'm short sided but that's it. I never use my 54 or 58 for "full" shots either, more a confidence thing as it can go downhill very quickly ?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
56 ATM.. used to be 58 but dropped my 54 and 58 to go for a more used 56 .. wasn't using the 58 at all and 54 could be a tiny bit higher

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I play a links with very tight lies around the greens. Often if you miss a green you have a shot over a bunker.

A higher lofted club, 58 or 60 makes these shots more achievable. With a 54 you would need to open up and the added bounce from doing would make it very hard to get to the bottom of the ball.

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
58 Vokey
Use it all the time for short shots to the green, around the green and greenside bunkers.
Never use my SW from greenside bunkers unless there is loads of green to play with.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
58 is my most lofted. It's most commonly in the bag with a 50 and 54, although if I need more length at the other end the 50 and 54 get removed and replaced with a 52.

I find my 58 great for a huge variety of shots, it's my go-to for 50 yard half shots and 75-80 yard full swings, in addition to bunkers and green-side chips.

NoLayingUp

Visit site
I carry a Utility Wedge from the Ping G410’s gives me great confidence with the size of the club and the use Callaway Jaws MD5 52 degree 10S grind and a 58 degree 14W grind, the large bounce on the lob wedge really helps we around the bunkers and juicy rough lies to have the confidence to get underneath the ball and pop it up. Excellent spin aswell, no idea how the grooves are legal, they really push the design limits with them!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I'm not Seve either but 56 is enough for most bunkers

The pro I see for lessons is completely against any wedge over 56, he's of similar mind in that it will be more than enough for any bunker.

Despite now employing a 56 for sand and chip shots, I do still carry the 58 degree ICY golf wedge that Iain custom ground for me, can be opened up to more than 60 for odd flop shot, or if I only want to nudge it a few feet, or knife it across the green :oops:.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The pro I see for lessons is completely against any wedge over 56, he's of similar mind in that it will be more than enough for any bunker.

Despite now employing a 56 for sand and chip shots, I do still carry the 58 degree ICY golf wedge that Iain custom ground for me, can be opened up to more than 60 for odd flop shot, or if I only want to nudge it a few feet, or knife it across the green :oops:.

Maybe so for bunkers but there are times where more loft is required.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
58 which is purely used for flop shots. Rarely, more than twice a round. 54 for bunkers.
Snap! 54 high bounce for most bunker shots; 58 with lower bounce if close to face; flop type shots, or sometimes when short-sided chip-ups.

Last edited: