What's your most lofted wedge?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A 60° Cleveland. Only used for little dinks over bunkers where room is tight. I might not use it for 3 rounds but when called upon it is worth having in the bag.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a 58, but gone back to a 56. I have never been convinced that the 60 is a good idea for the average player, except for the rarely needed knife it across the green shot.

Played with a guy who had a 70 degree wedge once. It was a case study in either flopping the ball 3 feet in front of him or knifing it across the green. The rest of us started to feel anxious when he pulled the 70 out, which he did far too often.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
60, its fine, sort of flick between that and the 56 if adter a few holes chipping isnt doing well with distance...keep leaving it short, use 56, keep rolling it by, use 60.

CrapshotUK

Visit site
A 60 degree Callaway Grind, also have the 54 and 58. The 58 is my go to wedge around the green, however it did take some getting used to, you really have to commit to the follow through and let the club do the work.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
58 with 12° bounce and Callaway's X grind - a fairly aggressive C grind style.
Raw finish so no plating and it spins like nothing on earth!

evemccc

Visit site
Interesting thread

at the moment it’s a 60 - with a low bounce

I’m thinking of getting a high bounce (12) 56 and to primarily use that for everything apart from the 51 degree Gap.

Can see all the pros of this. Would give me more room at the top of the bag, I would / should gain relative exercise with that wedge if it’s the go-to club for most of my shots around the green and pitching ...

Wondering tho if a high bounce only option would mean difficulties on hard-pan links courses?

D

Deleted member 1147

Interesting thread

I’m thinking of getting a high bounce (12) 56 and to primarily use that for everything apart from the 51 degree Gap.

Can see all the pros of this. Would give me more room at the top of the bag, I would / should gain relative exercise with that wedge if it’s the go-to club for most of my shots around the green and pitching ...

Wondering tho if a high bounce only option would mean difficulties on hard-pan links courses?
Apparently Spieth was using a 4 degree bounce wedge at the Open

RichA

Visit site
60° lives permanently in the garage.
56° Ping Glide with Eye2 grind does everything the 60° did except bury itself in the ground an inch behind the ball.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Interesting thread

I used a 56 with 14degrees and a 60 with 11 and a wide sole on a baked out links course the other day.

The only issue arises when u try to open up said wedges off the truly tight lies. You never really have to do this often.

I have no issues using these wedges around links courses. In fact I love letting the bounce do its thing and slide into the ball on links turf.

Roctar

Visit site
55°
I personally think anything above 56 should be banned. Seve was able to play all shots and manipulate the face for different trajectories and distances from all types of lies. He was the master in short game.