What's your longest iron?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
What's your longest iron in the bag and why? I'm currently at 5, the 4 still hasn't made it out the garage – the 5 is never trusted to shuffle one into position due to a fear of the hosel, is my worst club and often gets replaced by a nudgy hybrid so is pretty much pointless (though is good for punch outs)..

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have 6 which gets used a lot and then I have a 4 which is used for very low shots in to the wind for example where the 6 will not make it and the rescue flies to high.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seven iron for me. The six iron I couldn't hit any further than the seven. My five iron I couldn't hit it full stop. So they both live in the cupboard, replaced by hybrids. I figured it was a combination of very strong lofts (26° on the six iron, 23° I think on the five) and my swing not being the fastest - hybrids much easier to launch and go the distance required.

Weirdly though I can hit the seven iron fine, pretty much. Odd that the six iron was that much more difficult just for 4° loft difference and a quarter of an inch longer or whatever.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
3 iron. 21 degree, I think.
So that would be a 4-iron if it were newer.

Reason.
Because I don't have a 2 (or a 1) with the current set.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

2 iron, unless I swap it out for a hybrid when the ground's wet, in which case it's a 4 iron.
Both of which are hollow headed clubs, which inspire confidence, and help to launch the ball.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
7 iron, 32° loft apparently.

Similar to Orikoru, couldn't hit a 5 iron, 6 iron was going no further than the 7 and less consistently. I've replaced the 6 with a 23° hydrid which goes very nicely. I do have a bit of a gap between the 7 and hybrid but I can live with it. No intention of putting longer irons back in the bag, been there and done it.

D

Deleted member 25172

4 iron which I carry around 190-195 I believe, but really need to get a 3 or a 2 in the bag as my next club is a 3 hybrid, and the difference between that and my 4i is about 30 yards carry.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I really thought this thread was going to be about the actual length of your longest iron. Six foot long for maximum leverage sir!

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm on a journey. Never used to carry woods, and had 1 iron through lob wedge. Dropped the 1 and 2 when i bought woods in the late 90's. Always carried a 3 and 4 until changed clubs last year, but with the stronger lofts in my recent purchase, 5 is now my longest iron, and it goes 195. Allows me more variation with the wedges, which i am enjoying.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
5 iron. When I bought my latest set, I was going to get a 4 but went with extra wedge. I wasn't sure an our pro said, I am so sure you'll be using that wedge more than a 4 iron, if you disagree, I'll pay for the 4 iron myself. 2 years later, he hasnt had to order the 4 iron :)

Last edited: