whats you most embarrassing moment on course or off

backspin

Hacker
Visit site
I was 15 years old and ordered a dog roll at the local course.Picked up the sauce at the counter and shook it quite hard.Whats that wet feeling on my face?,yep it was sauce the lid was not on properly.I looked up and the lady behind the counter was covered, it was dripping off her head plus other places.My friends were in tears,i looked down and the arran pringle jumper i was wearing looked like a blood bath.Then i heard (watch what your doing son) i had splattered four guys sitting behind me it had gone over my shoulder.I was asked to leave the premises.It was up the walls,it was everywhere.I look back now and its very funny.But at the time i felt like just running for the nearest door

B

birdieman

Mine is 1st tee at Peterculter GC. "I'll just take a 4 iron and play it safely down the middle". NOT. With fortunately only a few people about the 1st tee I ripped the biggest, deepest divot of my life out of the tee, it was a good 10" I reckon. My pal was in stitches as one chap called over from the practice putting green, "it's golf not a bloody ploughing match!"

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I once played with someone who when asked to mark their ball a clubs length away so as to be out of the way of someone's line they got out their driver and measured ball a clubs length away so it was on other side of green. The person who was next to putt didn't know if to laugh or be offended!

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
I once thinned a wedge on our ninth hole, which flew over the green, over the putting green and pitched on the patio area under our clubhouse. My embarrassment was heightened when I got up there and was informed by an angry captain that it had whizzed passed his head- he was not impressed!

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I shanked one on the 18th hole of the R&A Gold Medal around the Old Course. There were quite a few people watching as it rebounded off the St Andrews Golf club, it missed all the cars parked on the side of the hole and came back into the valley of sin.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
scattering golfers on the putting green at Royal Liverpool courtesy of a low duck hook off the 1st tee

anyone who has ever played Hoylake will know...
a) what a truly awful shot that is (I nearly hit it between my legs)
b) how lucky I was not to break any of big picture windows in the bar overlooking the putting green!

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This happened to a mate I was playing with. Back in the early 90s you used to have to queue for a couple of hours to get on the 1st at my local muni. My three mates and I eventually get to the front of the queue. One of them tees it up - rubber mat, par 3 - and thins it into the kerb int front of the teeing area. It rebounds back over his head, over the 30 people left in the queue, over the clubhouse and into the carpark 100 yards behind us. Bloody funny.

backspin

Hacker
Visit site
I have another one.We were waiting to tee off on the first at a local course.There must have been 3 four balls waiting.Any way this guy tees up has a couple of practise swings and bang catches the ball off the inside off the hosel.
The ball goes almost sideways to his left sraight at the clubhouse.Outside were some people having a drink as it was a lovely summers afternoon,the ball smashies the pint glass this person is holding.Then hits the bar window and bounces off down the patio and then it scatters a 3 ball on the 18th and ends up in the green side bunker.He went completely red.I must admit he appologised to everyone and tried to buy the man with the broken glass a drink.But his friends were in hysterics,they could not even tee off and let us through.I felt so sorry for him, you could see he just wanted to curl up in a ball.It was funny though.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
My pal (who played off about 8 at the time) tells of the story when he was entertaining clients at Royal Dornoch. He freely admits that he hasn't got the most elegant of swings but it's effective. Stood on the first tee his mobile phone goes off. Oops. Worse to follow. He proceeds to duck hook 2 off the tee and the starter immediately rushes over and demands to see his handicap certificate!! Think his clients have been reaping the benefit ever since

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi everyone, 1st post.

My boss invited me to play at his course one Saturday, and after letting him beat me on the last hole, we went in to the bar for a "refreshment" after sitting there for a while in an embarassing silence he challenged me to a game of pool (or to "give me a lesson" as he termed it). Anyway, I'm actually not bad at pool, so I decided to break off and swung the cue quite violently in order to make a few pots off the break and hopefuilly clear up, only to see the cue ball fly majestically off the table and soar towards the huge clubhouse window overlooking the 18th green......

I don't work for him anymore.