What's the stupidest "Rule" or request for relief you've encountered?

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mine must be an opponent in a match requesting "relief from Casual Water".....when inside the yellow line marking a Water Hazard

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
mine would be a challenge to a rule in an inter-club match, not out group, but another, there'd been some animosity already, our pair were going to take a penalty unplayable lie, their opponents objected as "it's not unplayable enough". Our pair weren't sure of their ground so didn't take the penalty and attempted to play the ball.

Another was in a medal, again not my grouping, player loses ball off tee and hadn't played a provisional. Goes back, and hits almost identical line, over the heads of his playing partner, this time into a burn just slightly further ahead. To stop it being washed away, they retrieve the ball and put it down approximately where it crossed the margins. The villian is adamant he can play it as it lies for four as the ball is no longer in the hazard :oops:

benjo09

Visit site
Played with a guy the other day that thinned a shot into the green that hit a stake roping off an area to trolleys. The balled then bounced back into the green side bunker. He was adamant he was allowed to replay the shot due to outside interference but decided to play 2 balls as he wasn’t sure of the exact ruling.
Second ball goes long over the green, plays bunker shot with original ball to 10’, blades second ball back over the green into the long stuff. Before looking for it he stops and says “I’ve just thought, I think I only get to replay it if it hits a telephone line, does that (points at rope) count as one?” I look confused at him and he decides not to look for the second and 2 putts his first for bogey.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thankfully only in a friendly social round...but I'd be interested who was right

PP hoicks her ball into area with sparse bushes and low hanging tree branches. Player manages to get to ball accompanied by sound of lots of snapping twigs and branches, half crouches over ball and barely knocks it out of tree line. Insists that breaking all those branches is ok as they weren't taking their stance at the time (yeah, they were.....)

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Years back in a match my pairs partner hits a ball to 10 feet on a par 3 only for the opponents to claim it hit a crossing wire which meant automatic replay under a local rule. The ball wasn't within 30 feet of it but it was the 17th and they were two down.
My mate tees it up again and hits it stone dead with an accompanying comment about how that one didn't hit the wire. There weren't a full set of handshakes and the 18th wasn't played.
We also found out this club (Abbey Moor cough cough) had a lot of form in claiming balls hitting wires in that situation.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
FC hit his tee shot OB, over a hedge onto an adjacent golf course.
So he plays a second.
Walking down the fairway, we hear a voice from the other course "I'm throwing your ball back", and sure enough, over the hedge it comes.
FC: "That's in play! I can continue with it".
Me: "No you can't".
He wouldn't have it, so I persuaded him to continue with 2 balls and ask for a ruling afterwards.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
mine would be a challenge to a rule in an inter-club match, not out group, but another, there'd been some animosity already, our pair were going to take a penalty unplayable lie, their opponents objected as "it's not unplayable enough".

So how unplayable does it need to be? Halfway up a tree, knee high in rough or floating down a stream? Think that has to be the winner

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Always find it a bit annoying when an opponent gets relief from ‘animal scrapings’, especially when said relief lets them drop out of the massive bush they’d hit into!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Heard a good one recently about whether a ball was OOB.

Taking a line between the white stakes it was out, but because the ball was in a curved bit of light rough before the heavy stuff some crazy people thought it was still in play.

Who are you calling crazy? They said they were using common sense. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I recall playing at beckenham and my friend lost a ball on the first and bitched about it all the way round.
Once we’d finished he went back down the first and found the ball.
A pack of pink castle tees to whoever correctly guesses what happened next

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I recall playing at beckenham and my friend lost a ball on the first and bitched about it all the way round.
If they'd been orange ones I may had a go but.......

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
In the rules he is allowed to Knock two shots off his score