What's the stupidest "Rule" or request for relief you've encountered?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed - but presumably he would be OK to take relief if the branches etc were awaiting collection with a local rule not being in place?
The question related to a stump. Unattached branches would be Loose Impediments and may be moved away unless they could not be physically moved. In which case they would be Immovable Obstructions and free relief would be available. "In which case free relief would not be available".

Last edited:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The question related to a stump. Unattached branches would be Loose Impediments and may be moved away unless they could not be physically moved. In which case they would be Immovable Obstructions and free relief would be available.
I know you are a rules expert so I guess this must be correct. Maybe you can explain my confusion:

According to the definitions, a immovable obstruction is an obstruction that can't be moved. And the definition of an obstruction is an artificial object.
Therefore surely a loose branch (which is not artificial) is not an obstruction?
I had always thought that if a branch is too heavy to move, tough luck.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I know you are a rules expert so I guess this must be correct. Maybe you can explain my confusion:

According to the definitions, a immovable obstruction is an obstruction that can't be moved. And the definition of an obstruction is an artificial object.
Therefore surely a loose branch (which is not artificial) is not an obstruction?
I am sure that you are correct. The tree stump I mentioned is certainly an obstruction; it is certainly immovable; it most certainly isn’t artificial. So no relief unless otherwise stated by the club.

A branch that is loose but too heavy to move comes down to the ability of any individual to move it, and there cannot be discrimination in the rules on such a constraint.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

You are quite correct. I should have simply said "In which case free relief would not be available".

I can only plead guilty and in mitigation say there was a celebration at the club last night and I was there.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I did play in a scratch open years ago where a guy tried to claim relief on a chip shot from 10 yards off the green as he said there was a sprinkler head where he wanted to land his ball just short of the putting surface.
The two of us with him told him no chance so he went storming off to the pro shop to ask for a ruling. Apparently they just laughed out loud at him. He came back, duffed the chip and made a double. Gutted for him as he was an arse.