what would you do?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have a tie tonight, Quarter Final in fact, at 4pm. This was arranged some time ago.
Had an email this morning from my oppo who is a young lad of about 19 saying he had taken a caddie job at 11.30, but should be finished in time for our tee time, but looking at the sheet the guys he is caddying for are 4 ball of Americans and typically these take 5 hours play at least esp with the course being busy before this. The times after ours are booked till 4.50, so even he they fly round I will be waiting another 50 mins to play.

what would you do?

D

Deleted member 18121

I'd feel a bit miffed with him, but just go with the flow and play the game at 4:50 if he's not done in time.

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a tie tonight, Quarter Final in fact, at 4pm. This was arranged some time ago.
Had an email this morning from my oppo who is a young lad of about 19 saying he had taken a caddie job at 11.30, but should be finished in time for our tee time, but looking at the sheet the guys he is caddying for are 4 ball of Americans and typically these take 5 hours play at least esp with the course being busy before this. The times after ours are booked till 4.50, so even he they fly round I will be waiting another 50 mins to play.

what would you do?

What did you want to do ?

The correct thing would be for him to forfit the match as he cant make the tee time .................. but thats up to you with lots of other factors to add and how much time you have etc :D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
What did you want to do ?

The correct thing would be for him to forfit the match as he cant make the tee time .................. but thats up to you with lots of other factors to add and how much time you have etc :D

I'd rather play, but also don't really have time to hang around and wait for him either TBH

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'd be thinking, that fellas just watched putts on every green from 4 different players minutes before we play our match... I'm humped!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd be thinking, that fellas just watched putts on every green from 4 different players minutes before we play our match... I'm humped!

but also, he had humped a bag around for 5 hours and given reads to people who usually don't have the skill to follow the read instructions anyway ;)

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I guess it depends how pushed for time you are.

I would be a bit annoyed but would probably hit the practice area for 40 mins and be ready to whoop him

chris3081

Assistant Pro
Visit site
but also, he had humped a bag around for 5 hours and given reads to people who usually don't have the skill to follow the read instructions anyway ;)

Thats right - on the plus side he will be knackered which could play into your hands. I'd still suggest playing, but maybe suggest that if he misses the 4pm tee time then he should forfeit. At least that would make him rush round with the yanks!

D

Deleted Member 1156

At least that would make him rush round with the yanks!

Good luck with that, I'm guessing you've never played with yanks before? They have to add at least 1 hour to the round for all the hootin an a hollerin and high 5'ing they do :eek:

D

Deleted member 17920

I'd feel a bit miffed with him, but just go with the flow and play the game at 4:50 if he's not done in time.
This.

Its guaranteed that he will be 5hrs round.

But at 19 years old I applaud him for getting off his backside and caddying and earning some cash.

My 2 stepkids at 19 couldn't even get out of bed without Mummy helping :D

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’d rock up for your ARRANGED 4pm tee time. He gets his 5mins before DQ.
He may be a young’un but they have to learn at some point that you have to keep to word.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would tell him that him caddying wasnt a problem, and that you'd look forward to your match at 4 pm.
I'd give him 15 mins grace if hes late then claim the match, and tell him so as well.

WillC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd text back saying; Fair play mate. Tee is booked immediately after ours up until 4:50 so quite a long time to wait around, but we can sort something out if it comes to that.

Just have to see what happens, clarify with him that you'll be ready for 4, if he isn't going to be can he get in touch. If you don't hear anything, you'll expect no problems and him to be there type thing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thats right - on the plus side he will be knackered which could play into your hands. I'd still suggest playing, but maybe suggest that if he misses the 4pm tee time then he should forfeit. At least that would make him rush round with the yanks!
Knackered? I thought he said he was 19? 19 year olds don't get knackered!

D

Deleted member 3432

The game was arranged prior to him agreeing to caddie.

Fair enough if he wants to earn some cash but in your position I wouldn't be prepared to wait around for long. If he makes the tee time great, if not sorry son but you're out.

He can't have his cake and eat it I'm afraid. Games are difficult enough to arrange without being messed around.

D

Deleted Member 1156

My gut feeling is you give him 5 mins grace, if he doesn't make it then you are entitled to claim the match. If he had contacted you PRIOR to agreeing to caddy to explain the situation and ask if you are OK with it then fair enough.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And if he had phoned you and said his boss has asked him to work for an extra 50 minutes what would your response be?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
And if he had phoned you and said his boss has asked him to work for an extra 50 minutes what would your response be?
TBH, i wouldn't have a problem with that, or even if he had asked to re arrange.

he didn't he expects me to wait on him getting there in time and knowing full well its more than likely he won't be there in time.