what would you do?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great outcome, and gracious in defeat :thup:

I was going to suggest posting it in the rules forum to see if you got a different set of responses ;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Great outcome, and gracious in defeat :thup:

I was going to suggest posting it in the rules forum to see if you got a different set of responses ;)

Good point as i was unaware of the 1 shot down for every 10 mins late the opponent is,unless thats just a rule at my club.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thats some amount of birdies. You tend to make loads. Are u an aggressive player?

I dont make that many in a month. Lol

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thats some amount of birdies. You tend to make loads. Are u an aggressive player?

I dont make that many in a month. Lol

pretty steady from 80 to 120 and get it fairly close, so i suppose aggressive at the pin if its not a sucker pin, which there weren't a couple of good puts 9, 10,11 and 16 were all 5 ft at most, 12 was a lucky one tbh if it had missed was off the green;) 15 is a 306 yard Risk reward and don't usually closer than 250, but took driver and stuck it on the front edge so a 2 putt birdie, makes up for all the bogies i make:rofl:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
pretty steady from 80 to 120 and get it fairly close, so i suppose aggressive at the pin if its not a sucker pin, which there weren't a couple of good puts 9, 10,11 and 16 were all 5 ft at most, 12 was a lucky one tbh if it had missed was off the green;) 15 is a 306 yard Risk reward and don't usually closer than 250, but took driver and stuck it on the front edge so a 2 putt birdie, makes up for all the bogies i make:rofl:

Thats some good wedge play. Fancy giving our rory a wee lesson? Lol

Solid putting too. I miss too many good birdie chances these days.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We did indeed play. He was 10 mins late to the tee, but give him credit he had got someone to put his bag in the starters hut and walked off the 18th green got is fee, straight into the starters and took his caddy tabard off and on we went. He Apologized for the inconvenience and chivied the 4 he caddied for around in a reasonable time under 4 hours, which is to be applauded in itself.

The group out after us was there early so let them go and we were straight out after them, in theory i was allowed to start 1 up as its a penalty of 1 shot for every 10 min late they are, but chose not to enforce it.

Nice lad and very fit, carried his own bag after carrying one for 4 hours before the game too.

quite a god game, all square after two (scratch game, so no shots and he is off 2) but then i found a bunker off the tee on the next 6 holes so with him making birdie on two of those found myself 6 down after 8..

I then had a bit of a resurgence and birdied 9, eagled 10, then birdied 11 and 12 while he found a couple of bunkers off the tee to get back to 2 down with 5 to play, he then was very steady and we halved the next 4, with birdies on 15 and 16 each thrown in. he was just too good for me in the end. Glad we played and its nice to test yourself against better players in this format, doubt i would have got any further even if i had won as the next game would have been against a +3

I've never heard of this - is that a local competition rule your club enforces? And how would it put you 1up? - unless you mean that you halved the whole and if you'd enforced that rule you'd have won the hole.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Having read this, I'm glad the match went ahead. 19 yr old lad, off 2, takes his golf seriously, earning some summer cash, made contact to make you aware of the situation, made efforts to make sure the match wouldn't be any more delayed than needs be (bag in starter hut etc.), I'm honestly not sure the 'lesson to be learned' would have been anything more than fulfilling a typical golf stereotype. Had he pitched up 10mins late and you'd claimed the match after 5mins, the lesson wouldn't have been what some thought it would be.

Sounds like a good match, you were very gracious as others said.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've never heard of this - is that a local competition rule your club enforces? And how would it put you 1up? - unless you mean that you halved the whole and if you'd enforced that rule you'd have won the hole.

not sure if its a general Rule for MP or just a local club rule.

1 hole for every 10 mins late, so walk to the 2nd tee 1 up, still no show after another 10 walk to the 3rd tee 2 up ect. thats how it was relayed by a committee member who was in the starters hut with me while waiting

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

1 hole for every 10 mins late, so walk to the 2nd tee 1 up, still no show after another 10 walk to the 3rd tee 2 up ect. thats how it was relayed by a committee member who was in the starters hut with me while waiting
Do you have to physically walk to the next tee every ten minutes for it to count? :D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I've never heard of it so it must be a rule your club applies in comps to encourage players to get to the tee on time. Not a bad idea I suppose as it might well minimise late arrivals on the tee and so avoid the sort of scenario and 'what to do' questions you found yourself faced with (though it didn't stop your opponent risking the penalty).

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm old school, if I make a commitment to be somewhere at a certain time then I stick to it. I don't accept a better offer or expect people to change their plans to suit me after something has been agreed. In this case he was 'only' 10 minutes late, it seems to be a modern notion that it's OK to expect people to be inconvenienced just to fit in with what you want. Shows a lack of respect IMHO.

nowtfancy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Having read this, I'm glad the match went ahead. 19 yr old lad, off 2, takes his golf seriously, earning some summer cash, made contact to make you aware of the situation, made efforts to make sure the match wouldn't be any more delayed than needs be (bag in starter hut etc.), I'm honestly not sure the 'lesson to be learned' would have been anything more than fulfilling a typical golf stereotype. Had he pitched up 10mins late and you'd claimed the match after 5mins, the lesson wouldn't have been what some thought it would be.

Sounds like a good match, you were very gracious as others said.

very much agree with this, seems some people would have taken the match for the sake of a bit of patience/compromise/understanding.