What would YOU do?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
First of all, make sure the spare keys are removed and kept somewhere far safer. After that, it's tricky but I do think you have to apply the rules although 15 day ban seems excessive not only in this case but in general.

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
First of all, make sure the spare keys are removed and kept somewhere far safer. After that, it's tricky but I do think you have to apply the rules although 15 day ban seems excessive not only in this case but in general.

I agree with this, seems the common sense approach

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
we have to put ours scores in the computer before posting the card in the locked box. only the handicap sec has the key, so nothing like this happens at ours.

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
we have to put ours scores in the computer before posting the card in the locked box. only the handicap sec has the key, so nothing like this happens at ours.

This is why I asked earlier as I thought most clubs do this, our club does, although the box is not locked and could be tampered with. Not sure it's ever happened or ever would, the box is next to the bar so always people around or close by

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Agree. All our scores get entered into PSI and you get to check the scores on the screen match the card, that you've signed it and then put it in the box under the screen. I guess in this instance it would be compelling evidence he had put a card in.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree. All our scores get entered into PSI and you get to check the scores on the screen match the card, that you've signed it and then put it in the box under the screen. I guess in this instance it would be compelling evidence he had put a card in.
so if someone enters a gross 70 off 15 handicap on the computer and no scorecard exists then you ignore the rule and just accept the score instead?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

You don't HAVE to put your scores into a computer. Corteous to do so but no action can be taken against you if you don't.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You don't HAVE to put your scores into a computer. Corteous to do so but no action can be taken against you if you don't.

possibly not, but the clubs asks us to do this. Its a double check i suppose, if the OP club did this there may not be an issue?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Not so. If the club has decreed that players have to enter their scores into a computer and a player refuses to do so, the player can have a disciplinary sanction imposed - such as suspension of handicap or right to compete in club competitions for a specified period.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not so. If the club has decreed that players have to enter their scores into a computer and a player refuses to do so, the player can have a disciplinary sanction imposed - such as suspension of handicap or right to compete in club competitions for a specified period.

Sure about that?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sure about that?

Yes.

Dec.1(m) Competition conditions that apply solely to the UHS
Q. The administration of handicapping has become increasingly the domain of the computer
resulting in Handicap Committees requiring competitors to provide assistance in various ways
beyond that required by the Rules of Golf. These include:
ï‚· total the score and apply the correct handicap;
ï‚· enter and total Stableford points on their card;
ï‚· on completion of the round enter scores hole by hole into a computer terminal;
ï‚· enter on the scorecard their computer reference number;
ï‚· indicate on the card scores to be adjusted by the application of Nett Double Bogey or theStableford formula;
Can the Committee in charge of the competition, or Handicap Committee, impose a penalty
under the Rules of Golf when a player fails to comply with a request of the nature listed above?
A. R&A Rules Limited has confirmed that ’provided a player fulfils the requirements of Rule 6-6 a
penalty cannot be imposed under the Rules of Golf for failure to comply with these conditions.
However, imposing a penalty of a disciplinary nature, such as suspension of handicap is not
considered to be contrary to the Rules of Golf.’ An alternative penalty would be to suspend the
player’s right to compete in club competitions for a specified period. (See R&A Decisions on the
Rules of Golf, Decision 6-6b/8).

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Doesn't seem fair to me. Not everyone can use a computer or see well enough to do so.

I would not be happy if my club took such measures. Totally understand that they would like people to do it but to impose a penalty is wrong in my opinion.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Doesn't seem fair to me. Not everyone can use a computer or see well enough to do so.

I would not be happy if my club took such measures. Totally understand that they would like people to do it but to impose a penalty is wrong in my opinion.

when i say computer, its a big touch screen on the wall above the box at shoulder height.

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site

Move with the times..!! Classic golf club member attitude from yesteryear