What would you do?

I am Spartacus

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilemma.

I took up golf only last year and have been hooked ever since. I'm not great but I enjoy it enough to have made the commitment to join a club if I can. I have made enquiries at a couple of local courses after paying on and playing them.

I have just got an application form through from one of them and one of the questions that it asks is have you ever had a criminal conviction. I make no secret of the fact that I have had a checkered past which resulted in my having an eight month stretch when I was 17 years of age.

I have worked extremely hard to get where I am today and am proud of what I do and what I have achieved.

I have discussed this with my mates who all tell me to just so "NO" as they will never check or find out however that goes against the grain with me as I have always been upfront with this and despite being ashamed of it, I can't change it.

The thing is, I'm guessing that golf clubs would probably barr me without even knowing me if I revealed this and I know a lot of people would possibly be uncomfortable being drawn with me in a competition if they knew my past.

Your views would be helpful in making up my mind and I accept that all may not be positive but I've had to overcome that since I was 18.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm guessing that your conviction is 'spent' under the Rehabilitation Act and therefore it's illegal to discriminate against those with spent convictions (apart from certain employment applications).

I am Spartacus

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm guessing that your conviction is 'spent' under the Rehabilitation Act and therefore it's illegal to discriminate against those with spent convictions (apart from certain employment applications).

They can't officially! However a private members club can happily reject my application without giving any reasons.

TPO77

Club Champion
Visit site
Personally I'd tell them. You sound as though you've turned yourself around and are rightly proud of that. I wouldn't personally want to undermine what you've achieved by feeling the need to look ashamed by your past. You've done your time, you were very young when it happened and I'd much rather be accepted for who I am than who I've pretended to be. Good luck with your application whichever way you decide to go. If you do decide to disclose your past I hope the club see past it and give you a chance.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I wouldn't mention it. It's not like you're applying to be a nanny. Frankly (to me) it's none of their business. It's a hobby not a job.

MarkKipper

Club Champion
Visit site
I wouldnt disclose it. Clean slate with a new bunch of people, no need for them to ever know what you got up to in a 'previous life' Easy to say people shouldnt discrimate for something that happened a long time ago. In the real world, people will and do.

Good luck with the golf whichever path you choose to take

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
I think you have to tell the truth though....more for yourself. Maybe add a note on the application that basically points out what you wrote in the opening post. Hopefully this will be enough to override any doubts they have... if they don't let you in maybe it tells you something about the club and so being a member there might not be all that great...

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I don't think they should even be asking. Would it matter if you had 11pts on your driving licence or had been married 3 times?
I think it's something you need to learn to keep to yourself, and that includes 'on the internet'.

I'd ask a mod to delete the thread if I were you and get on with your life LIKE YOU CLEARLY WANT TO DO.

D

Deleted member 17920

Its none of the golf clubs business. What happened before you joined the club is none of anyones business. I would say nothing unless its really going to bother you then its worth having a word with the management at the golf club and seeing what happens there. Personally I wouldn't say a word.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, as a footnote it might be worth a forum name change. You are likely to make freinds here now and play with them at some point. Best not to be known as the ex-con who lied to get in the club ;) :p

I reckon its fine, at the next big forummeet expect 20 people to say "i'm spartacus", "No, I'm Spartacus!" etc etc...

I agree with the other guys, none of their business IMHO, maybe mention to the club manager, but im not sure i would even do that... its hardly like you are applying to work in a school or something,,, next thing clubs will be doing CRB checks?!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm in the "none of their business" camp BUT, I would tell them and if they declined your application then is it a club that I would want to be part of anyway?
Attitudes towards potential new members is a bigger threat to dwindling numbers than dress codes, mobile bans or bar levies ever will be IMO.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm in the "none of their business" camp BUT, I would tell them and if they declined your application then is it a club that I would want to be part of anyway?
Exactly , tell them , and if they dont want you for who you are let them go to blazes ...

Well done on sorting yourself out aswell ..