what would you do??

D

Deleted member 21258

The upshot of not talking to that one Junior would be that next week almost all the juniors that played in the winter would be doing the same thing.

How does it work like that ? A strange conclusion poor juniors when people think like this

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
How does it work like that ? A strange conclusion poor juniors when people think like this
Yep all goes along very well with the snobbish stuck up perception golf has amongst non golfers, can imagine a junior in front of a committee, wonder how they would feel, doubt they would play the game much longer, they would at best switch to a different club and once other juniors and parents heard the reason they would likely be off aswell and rightly so. Attitudes like this just drive people away, truly stuck in the dark ages

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst we dont have mats to use, we have a no practiising on the course rule, and those seen w doing so will be spoken to and advised. If it's just a case of evidence left (a multitued of divots all together) then an email is sent out to all members reminding them of the no practise on course rule.
Seems to work in general

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yep all goes along very well with the snobbish stuck up perception golf has amongst non golfers, can imagine a junior in front of a committee, wonder how they would feel, doubt they would play the game much longer, they would at best switch to a different club and once other juniors and parents heard the reason they would likely be off aswell and rightly so. Attitudes like this just drive people away, truly stuck in the dark ages

So you advocate leaving them to do as they please then?

we have had some quite nasty incidents, just a few.

Firing balls from the pratice ground into the houses on the left of the PG

Balls being hit at the fairway bunker on the 18th fairway from the practice ground, not one or 2 a whole bucket.

one buried a load of balls just below the surface on the practice bunker, so some used it they hurt their wrist

hitting balls from the practice ground onto the 9 hole, while people were playing there

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Whilst we dont have mats to use, we have a no practiising on the course rule, and those seen w doing so will be spoken to and advised. If it's just a case of evidence left (a multitued of divots all together) then an email is sent out to all members reminding them of the no practise on course rule.
Seems to work in general
That's the same as my club, using a mat is also not required but advised in the winter

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
So you advocate leaving them to do as they please then?

we have had some quite nasty incidents, just a few.

Firing balls from the pratice ground into the houses on the left of the PG

Balls being hit at the fairway bunker on the 18th fairway from the practice ground, not one or 2 a whole bucket.

one buried a load of balls just below the surface on the practice bunker, so some used it they hurt their wrist

hitting balls from the practice ground onto the 9 hole, while people were playing there
I'd suggest they were more important than not using a mat, perhaps you should report these incidents and the offender to the committee

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd suggest they were more important than not using a mat, perhaps you should report these incidents and the offender to the committee
they all were, as these were all seen by a Committee member.

as for the mats, if you don't have to use them thats great for you, but at ours it a rule, adults have been pulled up too, one was even written a letter, that unless he used one he wasn't welcome to play

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
they all were, as these were all seen by a Committee member.

as for the mats, if you don't have to use them thats great for you, but at ours it a rule, adults have been pulled up too, one was even written a letter, that unless he used one he wasn't welcome to play
There are ways of doing things, it should be made aware to them not to do it but it's the way it's done is the issue. If one of the witnesses had simply walked over struck up a conversation with small talk and then mentioned something like I couldn't help notice you played a shot without using a mat can you just make sure in future blah blah.
I guarantee the junior would have more respect for them as a person and would likely take more notice, it's not a very big issue and shouldn't be made into one

JPLon

Visit site
Oh crikey, this seems to be much ado about nothing....

Cant say as I would think it was any of my business if I saw it happening, unless it was actually within my 4ball. Then I might say something, like "use the mat next time" but I wouldnt walk over to another fairway to speak with someone! That's jobsworth!

Exactly my view...all this about a child playing golf on a golf course. Some of these responses make it sound like he was out there on a JCB! Juniors on my course are so rare i'd have been happy just to see one out there playing.

DCB

Visit site

from experience ...... that's just the way teenagers are nowadays unfortunately. If one of them doesn't use a mat when playing off the fairway, his mates will soon not use the mat off the fairway and it soon snowballs.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
If it was a club rule that I thought was to protect the course / safety of other members / players, I'd have no hesitation in pointing out what they should be doing. If they still chose not to obey the rules, I'd not say anything else, and point it out to the Club Secretary or Pro. However, I do find some club rules pretty petty, that are making golf not very appealing to younger members.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It is. what makes it worse is that they all live local, are decent club guys who support events and they're all between 35-45. A demographic we desperately need more of.

Speak to my B in L then and tell him to join - that'll be one to replace the leavers! Really enjoyed my game at your gaff.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If they were digging up bunkers and greens, I feel the odd shot off a fairway is very minor and what you'd simply expect from a junior. I'd rather the committee were dealing with more important things than a rogue junior who sometimes doesn't use his mat
Yes but juniors who don’t abide by the rules turn into ass***e adults who don’t adhere to rules.
One of my mates is one , two parking spaces parks in the middle, trolley over lines etc.
It’s embarrassing playing with him sometimes as people ask me what he thinks he’s doing.
I just say “ go and ask him”

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally if I was playing with someone I would tell them if they had disobeyed a rule.
I have done this in the past with new players grounding their clubs in bunkers, holding the flag while tapping in etc.

btw, why do you think holding the flag whilst tapping in was, or is, breaking the rules?