what would you do??

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was breaking the rules. Assuming the flag was touching the ground.
I have some news for you, it wasn't and isn't.

Whilst you can't use it, or other equipment such as a spare club, to support you whilst making a stroke, having a flagstick touching the ground isn't by definition breaking the rules - and I've yet to see anyone holding one, or having it resting against their shoulder, actually breaking the rules (but accept that it could be done if someone really set out to do it)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yes but juniors who don’t abide by the rules turn into ass***e adults who don’t adhere to rules.
One of my mates is one , two parking spaces parks in the middle, trolley over lines etc.
It’s embarrassing playing with him sometimes as people ask me what he thinks he’s doing.
I just say “ go and ask him”
I'd go along with this as well as the point that if one teenager does it and gets away with it, he'll get his mates to do it the next time they play until they get pulled up and the club takes action. Sadly there's an underlying current in society as a whole, not specific to golf of people ignoring rules that are for everyone and then taking a downright shorty attitude when caught up and taken to task

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Don’t be that guy who apprehends other golfers for minor things. That comes with a name.

I’ve had this happen to me twice.
Once on a bump and run 10 yards off the green. (Allowed to not use a mat for chipping)
And somebody assumed I wasn’t using a mat because he couldn’t see me bend over or the actual mat itself. (Using a small plastic pocketable smart mat)

These people actually went 100 yards out their way to look a fool.

Funny that these people care about the course but feel inclined to use trollies and buggies in winter and make the courses look like crap.

sunshine

Visit site
Honestly pick them up on it, it can be done in a way that doesn’t berate them and offers them advice and they learn from it. Or let the junior organiser know.

Our junior organiser when I was a little sprog would ask all members to report any issues to him.

He was very tactile and would educate any juniors that were breaking rules or etiquette.

On occasions it was clear juniors were purposefully breaking the rules they would be disciplined by means of not playing in the upcoming junior matches.

I myself lost my spot in the team as junior captain for playing 5 balls from the same spot one evening whilst practising.

I wasn’t settting a good example to the team and other juniors and I learnt my lesson.

The junior organiser was very tactile with the children? Was he tactile with you? Did you report him? Depressing how all these cases of child abuse by people in positions of responsibility are now coming to light.

Wolf

Visit site
The junior organiser was very tactile with the children? Was he tactile with you? Did you report him? Depressing how all these cases of child abuse by people in positions of responsibility are now coming to light.
You clearly read that differently to everyone else on here so far. I think what was meant was he had a better approach than being overbearing and making them feel looked down upon...

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You clearly read that differently to everyone else on here so far. I think what was meant was he had a better approach than being overbearing and making them feel looked down upon...

Should have typed 'Tactful' perhaps?
Probably an autocorrect error:rolleyes:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Fair enough, I stand corrected.

That was certainly a common rule in play among guys I used to play with.

I don't really understand why it would be allowed if the Walrus got penalised for kneeling on a towel.

Wolf

Visit site
Fair enough, I stand corrected.

That was certainly a common rule in play among guys I used to play with.

I don't really understand why it would be allowed if the Walrus got penalised for kneeling on a towel.

He got done for building a stance if I remember rightly. Silly rule considering the reasons he did it and gained nothing from it

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
All good in theory
Trouble is one person's polite word is another's challenge is another's confrontation is another's bawl out is another's march across two fairways and yell to the world

Not sure how you standardise it so folks don't go over the top
What's the option? Not say anything and see somebody flaunt/break the rules continuously?
You've given all the reasons not to take any action or even responsibility?
I would take that chance and I've had to do that on a few occasions when I was Captain. It can be done diplomatically.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What's the option? Not say anything and see somebody flaunt/break the rules continuously?
You've given all the reasons not to take any action or even responsibility?
I would take that chance and I've had to do that on a few occasions when I was Captain. It can be done diplomatically.

As I said I'm not sure how you resolve it, if it's continuous it does need to be dealt with but only by those with the requisite communication skill set, blanket responsibility cannot be given to the entire membership

As a club Captain your peers have already identified that among your other attributes they trust you to communicate on behalf of the club
Unfortunately though if I asked you to think of all the members you can from your club I'll wager my next birdie putt that without too much trouble you can think of several whose personalities and behaviour means you would immediately dismiss them as suitable to be a vice or captain, and it is probably those same individuals that should never be empowered to raise breaches of club rules directly with members, guests or juniors

Some folk just don't have it

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
from experience ...... that's just the way teenagers are nowadays unfortunately. If one of them doesn't use a mat when playing off the fairway, his mates will soon not use the mat off the fairway and it soon snowballs.

Disagree entirely. You can't tar everyone with the same brush.

IMO a quiet word via the Junior Captain or convenor or pro and job done. Have been in this position a few times for similar minor offences. No problem whatsoever.

about a plate of cold soup
Now, being served cold soup on a plate would definitely merit official complaint! :LOL:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have also seen issues handled badly elsewhere (members confronting kids) escalated through to EGU and threats of legal action etc. Angry parents subsequently confronting said members etc. Opens up a whole can of worms and the club had better have safeguarding procedures in place...