What would you do in my situation?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
This is more a topic debating the pro's and con's, but here goes.

I currently play the Taylormade R7 Irons. I turn 30 end of February and I'm considering some new irons as a present to myself.

Here's my dilemma. I've only ever played with the R7's, which I understand to be a game improver, and not sure which direction to go.

I don't suffer getting the ball airbourne, after all thats what GI irons are suposed to do right? So do I opt for

a) Mizuno MP or Taylormade TP ranges?

or

b) Stick with the GI iron and look at The JPX or Superlaunch range or even Calaway X series?

I generally strike the ball well (Ball then turf) but not always out of the sweet spot and generally get a mid ball flight.

Never hit a players iron (Blade or MB) and, to be honest, these aren't even on the radar. Obviously I'm going to hit plenty of different iron sets before deciding.

So, Having only ever played a GI range of Irons, how would you proceed? Carry on with GI/SGI or move onto something inbetween where I am now and a players iron?

Any opinions welcome :thup:

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go and demo a wide range. If you're interested in Mizuno, go get booked it at the NFC and let the fitters do their job. They'll fit you for the best irons to suit your swing, be it MP59's, 69's or JPX's or JPX HD's

Similarly demo as many sets as you can and compare the numbers and how you feel about them. Then make a decision. Don't be sucked in (like many) by the players irons for the sake of it because it will make people think you're a good player. It will only help ruin your enjoyment of the game if you can't hit them.

Personally - I'm narrow minded and when I hit 30 or get my handicap down to below 15 I'll look at new irons and I'll probably stick with Mizuno as I know what I'm getting...but I'll book in at the NFC and go with whatever I hit the best.

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd go see Simon or Dave at Keele DR mate and tell them what your thinking.
Hit all the irons you fancy on the Launch monitor and see what gives you the best figures.

Then you can base your choice on feel, looks, overall forgivness and playability and hard data from the
LM aswell.

Also Simon and Dave will be able to advise you on whats best for you.
Fittings free if you buy from Keele I think.

A

Alex1975

my quick answer is stick with GI irons, maybe dont go for the chunky things, but something like JPX Pro or I20 but as Jon said, try them all out, just be sure before you pay the money, you will know after a good play.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just try as many as you can. You never know what you'll like and/or get on well with. I wouldn't rule anything out just because of who it is supposed to be for.

If you can get over how small the heads are, I love my Nike Pro Combos. 3, 4 & 5 are thin face welded on to the head like your Fli-Hi, 6 & 7 split cavity and 8, 9 & PW (where you need the forgiveness less) are blades.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys, pretty much as I thought.

TBH I think it's just the fact I'll have cash to blow to the wind for my 30th is making me think as it'll only burn a hole in my pocket once I have it.

I'll probably end up getting my R7's re-gripped and keep them for another season until I decide :mad:

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just got the TM TP CB's. very easy to hit and with a forged face plenty of feel. But the thing that made my mind up was the price. Managed to get them for £250 new 4 iron to PW.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As an 18-capper who obviously puts a lot of time into the game, you should hopefully be looking at some decent handicap cuts and continual improvement in your striking in the next couple of years.

So you may fall into the GI category at the mo, but that may change. Try as many types of iron, from as many manufacturers as possible.

There is a general obsession with Mizuno and Titleist on here. Yes, they make great gear, but so do a lot of other firms.

I wouldn't be looking at irons without also having a look at Ping, Callaway, Adams, Cleveland, Cobra, Nike. The list goes on. As the new ranges come out this spring, there will be plenty of demo days at ranges and local clubs. Get along to as many as you can and have a hit with as many clubs as you can get your hands on. At the very least, you'll have fun.

In that little lot there is an iron that will suit your eye and feel just right for you. It just may not be in the place you're expecting to find it.

Be a discerning customer, not a brand fanboy! :thup:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
As an 18-capper who obviously puts a lot of time into the game, you should hopefully be looking at some decent handicap cuts and continual improvement in your striking in the next couple of years.

So you may fall into the GI category at the mo, but that may change. Try as many types of iron, from as many manufacturers as possible.

This is a good point Monty and it's something I've considered.

As per my previous post. I'll probably get my current irons re-gripped and continue on until I feel I've moved on from GI clubs.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I recently had the same dilemma with my R7's. There was a beautiful set of Nike VR forged TW blades for £350 in my local pro shop and I was so tempted. I asked if I could try them and was given a demo 6 iron to try.

Although I struck the ball relatively well, I couldn't get the same consistency or distance as my R7's. Miss hits were severely punished and then I applied common sense.

Putting the demo back on the shelf I noticed a TM TP forged CB demonstrator.

The feel when hit out of the middle was superb. In addition the accuracy and forgiveness were also very good. The only downside is that I lost some distance however given that I hit the R7's a long way I wasn't too worried.

I'd recommend trying the TM CB's as you can pick them up very cheap, however I would also have a look at the Mizuno JPX 800 and 800 Pro as they are also very good.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
This is more a topic debating the pro's and con's, but here goes.

I currently play the Taylormade R7 Irons. I turn 30 end of February and I'm considering some new irons as a present to myself.

Here's my dilemma. I've only ever played with the R7's, which I understand to be a game improver, and not sure which direction to go.

I don't suffer getting the ball airbourne, after all thats what GI irons are suposed to do right? So do I opt for

a) Mizuno MP or Taylormade TP ranges?

or

b) Stick with the GI iron and look at The JPX or Superlaunch range or even Calaway X series?

I generally strike the ball well (Ball then turf) but not always out of the sweet spot and generally get a mid ball flight.

Never hit a players iron (Blade or MB) and, to be honest, these aren't even on the radar. Obviously I'm going to hit plenty of different iron sets before deciding.

So, Having only ever played a GI range of Irons, how would you proceed? Carry on with GI/SGI or move onto something inbetween where I am now and a players iron?

Any opinions welcome :thup:

Gareth Judging the way the rest of your bag is going you know you are only going one way........

mizuno, mizuno, mizuno, MIZUNO.

;)

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i'd find the best mizuno fitting centre closest to you, one with track man etc.

see which club suit you best, personally i like the look of the mp 53's

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds like you should start to move away from full GI irons. You don't have trouble getting the ball up, but want a head with some forgiveness, especially longer irons. What's your play like into the wind? If it stalls badly, then maybe that's a sign for a lower flight club.

You could try a progressive set, like MP53 or Nike VR Pro Combos. In the end, the major selling point for you will be how does the club look behind the ball and does it inspire confidence? Personally the thinner the better without going blades.

I suggest trying quite a few, then select your top five. Then down to three and try all these three on different days to average out your swing consistencies. Then go for a fitting with these three or a fitting with your favourite choice. However, the fitter may throw you a fast ball and recommend a combo or manufacturer that you've never heard of!

P.s. the Mizuno Swing DNA is a work of genius...just saying... ;) :whistle: