What would cause a pull?

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Following on from the "positive thoughts" thread, I meant to post this last week but forgot!

I'm noticing more and more shots with my driver i'm getting a slight pull to the left, the ball flies straight as a dye but stays left and i'm wondering why?

It wouldnt be so bad but my natural shot shape with my driver is a slight fade, so I always tend to aim slightly down the left side of the intended target to compensate for the fade, so you can imagine a pull when already aiming left isn't good!!

I did happen to notice when I last played (last week) that my right hand looked a little weak, but I didnt realise until I'd hit my tee shot down the 18th by which time it was a little late to see if it was....would a weak right hand cause a pull?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Not telling you :eek:

Seriously, your swing path is slightly out to in and the club face is pointing the same way for a pull.
The only difference between the pull and a fade is the clubface is slightly open at impact on the fade.
A weak grip would normally produce a fade :D

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Yeah.....but not by much at all.

Until I had my last lessons ( April last year) my grip was horrible, since then it hasnt been too bad, its just something I noticed last week.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeah.....but not by much at all.

Until I had my last lessons ( April last year) my grip was horrible, since then it hasnt been too bad, its just something I noticed last week.

You were close. Thats too strong which is closing the club face at impact which turns your fade into a pull.

That will be £30K please :D

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you get the V on your right hand (between thumb and first finger) pointing at your LEFT shoulder then that's weak :)

There was some stuff around about Colin Montgomerie's grip... he was probably the best fader of a golfball of all time, I'll see if I can find it.

Note: If it's NOT a change in your grip that is causing the pull - don't change it! It will be something else that has gone astray, alignment, swing path etc

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Yeh, if you haven't changed your grip and suddenly started pulling shots then you can't exactly start blaming your grip...however if you are getting better at golf and your swingpath is improving (straighter perhaps) then you might want to go get a refresher lesson from a pro... think of it like an M.O.T :)

Grip, posture, alignment...yada yada

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm noticing more and more shots with my driver i'm getting a slight pull to the left, the ball flies straight as a dye but stays left and i'm wondering why?

I hit this shot a great deal. Path and face identical, ball ends up left of centre sometimes into the 1st cut. I'd happily hit them all day.
Can't see a weak right hand having much to do with this, a strong one maybe.... :D
The point is IF this becomes a likely shot, stop aiming left.....aim down the middle.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com

I hit this shot a great deal. Path and face identical, ball ends up left of centre sometimes into the 1st cut. I'd happily hit them all day.
Can't see a weak right hand having much to do with this, a strong one maybe.... :D
The point is IF this becomes a likely shot, stop aiming left.....aim down the middle.

Yeah, I got weak & strong mixed up! lol

I'm more than happy with my slight fade though, thats the problem. On the course i'm looking to join, having a slight fade is going to be very very very advantageous to me so its something I dont mind keeping.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Sounds like my swing, just a tad over the top, causing a slight out to in, square face = pull, open = fade back to middle. The bad one is the closed face = massive pull hook.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
if you have a fade its usually caused by a weak grip and a slightly out to in swing path.
if you change your grip making it slightly stronger, i.e- if you set up as you normaly would,and look down at the club, turn your hands in a slightly clockwise direction, this will give you a stronger grip and this will produce a pull because the clubface will now be square with your swing path(which is still slightly out-in), this is the first step in curing a slice, so if thats what your doing then its an improvement. next step is to slightly alter your swing path to get an in to in swing, then you will hit the ball straight.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Hmmmmmmm...think i've found the cause to my issue!

I noticed today my grip is fine, but i'm setting up with the clubface slightly closed at address, so I made an effort to open it a bit but then I inherited an almight slice a few times!!

Nightmare....

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
so I made an effort to open it a bit but then I inherited an almight slice a few times!!

Excellent!... you fixed the pull ;)

If you swing out to in and are trying to hit a fade then your club SHOULD be closed a couple of degrees to the target line (making the ball go left), then as you slice across it with your swingpath the imparted spin makes it curve back to the right. If you are aiming your clubface at the target then you ARE going to slice it as it will go straight at the target and then spin off to the right.

If your clubface aims too far left (thereby matching your intended swingpath) then you're going to hit it dead straight left.. no side spin.

Your main worry is aiming the clubface left and accidentally swinging in to out imparting draw spin...bye bye ball as you snaphook it into the trees :)

Hope this helps.