What wedge lofts do you play?

Mike79

Visit site
Currently got Vokey SM wedges - 52/56/60 from back in 2006… looking at replacing with some fresh ones

My T200 irons are 43 PW and 48 GW

Thinking of dropping down to 2 Vokey rather than the 3 but trying to work out how best to do it…

52/58

54/58

54/60

D

Deleted member 31582

Depends on how you play your bunker shots?

All those pairings wouldn’t traditionally have a lot of bounce, that’s not an issue though, dependent on how you execute a bunker shot.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
2008 Pings 46 and 52 with a 1990s Ram 64.

From my vintage sets, I really like the 8,9,10 irons from a 1961 Forgan set 2-10. These are 44, 49, 54.
I have an Edinburgh Golf sand iron that I add to these. So, that makes me very similar to @JamesR. Fifty years of progress?

If I had a 43 and 48, then I might add a 56 and 64.
That 64 might blow your mind, so I suggest 54 and 60 for you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 31582

The 58 comes with either D (12deg bounce) or K (14deg) grinds

It’s difficult to advise when not knowing how you prefer to play your wedges and on what courses.

If you chose either of those for your preferred bunker shots, which are both ideal due to a strong bounce, then you leave yourself without a wedge for a flop shot off a bare lie!

If the stronger wedge has less bounce, then some will mistakenly say to ‘open the face’, but that will inadvertently increase the bounce and a knife shot could be the result!!

As I said earlier, it’s very difficult to advise on wedge selection as everyone plays their wedges differently, and many never take into consideration the bounce of each one in their selection.

It’s very much a personal relationship based on confidence.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
PW, U, 54, 58 (of the 54 and 58, the 54 has the higher bounce for most bunker shots).

58 less bounce I use when I short side myself typically needing to clear a bunker and lie is tight often to to heavy foot and trolley traffic or if playing to an elevated green with not much green to play with, when a lower loft tends to land too shallow and run too much. It worked magic yesterday.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I moved to a 3 wedge set up a year ago and much prefer it ATM

I used to play pitch at 43. 50 gap. 54 sand 58 lob

I replaced the 50 54 and 58 with a new 50 and a 56

I find it works better for me

D

Deleted member 1740

PW 45
GW 54
SW 58

Have thought about a 50 but i'll have to drop either my hybrid or my 2i

Mike79

Visit site
It’s difficult to advise when not knowing how you prefer to play your wedges and on what courses.

If you chose either of those for your preferred bunker shots, which are both ideal due to a strong bounce, then you leave yourself without a wedge for a flop shot off a bare lie!

If the stronger wedge has less bounce, then some will mistakenly say to ‘open the face’, but that will inadvertently increase the bounce and a knife shot could be the result!!

As I said earlier, it’s very difficult to advise on wedge selection as everyone plays their wedges differently, and many never take into consideration the bounce of each one in their selection.

It’s very much a personal relationship based on confidence.

Just checked my current wedges… 52.08, 56.10, 60.08

At a Titleist fitting in a couple of weeks so will have a play and see what advice give

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Stock PW is 46 with then 52/58 combo in wedges, I’ve played these lofts since 2010. I’ve noticed my current track has quite compact sand in the winter and my consistency with the 58* has dropped so I’ve plopped a 56* in just for bunkers but that will come out.