what was your first set of clubs

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
half a set of slazengers from cash converters which had seen better days, traded in my sega mega drive ( for those young uns it was a games console :D) at least now my clubs have improved even if the golf hasnt

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
1/2 set of Slazenger California clubs - horrible
1st full set was Howson DJ100's - bit better :rolleyes:
Ist real set was TopFlite Tour - the dog's danglies! :cool:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
The best part of 50 years ago, my father bought a second hand set of ladies clubs for my brother and me. My brother got the odd numbered clubs and I got the even numbered ones. Since that day I've always preferred playing with even numbered clubs. ;)

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
The best part of 50 years ago, my father bought a second hand set of ladies clubs for my brother and me. My brother got the odd numbered clubs and I got the even numbered ones. Since that day I've always preferred playing with even numbered clubs. ;)

Who got the putter?

Mine was a set of fazers but they only lasted about a year then got a big tax rebate and bought the mizunos next day :)

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
A cut down set of my grandads blades. Forgan ones, from when they were made in st andrews. The name seems to have been bought as they are turning out clubs again but not in st andrews.

Still have them, and my first adult clubs, again forgan blades ( my grandad must have liked them) under the stairs.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Complete Dunlop 65i Graphite set with Bag, driver, 3&5 wood, 3-sw and balls for £85

was given some Wilson Fatshaft 2's 6 months later which went straight into the bag

Then just bought and bought from there.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
First full set was Dunlop Peter Thompson blades. Bought 3,5,7,9,PW,SW then added the others as and when. Nice clubs. Pure blades, not a GI feature in sight!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
A cut down set of my grandads blades. Forgan ones, from when they were made in st andrews. The name seems to have been bought as they are turning out clubs again but not in st andrews.

Still have them, and my first adult clubs, again forgan blades ( my grandad must have liked them) under the stairs.

When I was starting out in the 60's my dad (who mostly played in the 30's and 40's - subject to an enforced break from 39-45!) reckoned Forgan and John Letters were the clubs to have. I think Forgan are one of the oldest club makers and their hickory shafted originals are quite valuable.

Just googled them and according to their website Forgan is the oldest club factory in the world, started in 1860 in St Andrews. Some nice piccies of the old factory on there.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
A mostly ebayed set for me - Ping Eye 2+ irons, Taylormade Rossa Monza Corsa, Dunlop wedges and I think a couple of Dunlop woods. Not great at all.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Started off with a half set of Eric Browns irons and a Slazenger 4 wood. First full set was McGregor Tourneys, and Lynx woods circa 1975.