What was your favourite sweet of old?????

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Let me allopogise in advance as I am in an airport in Noocassel ready to fly off for my two weeks in the sun tomorrow and me and a pal were/are getting drunk on broon ale and single malt and ranting about the sweets that have been lost forever and my favourite was the Fry's Five Centre and Paynes Fruit Creams that have been gone for 15-20 years.

I will not be able to look at your responses until I return from holiday as H.I.D has placed and exclusion zone round the PC at the hotel and I am to be shot if I venture within 12 feet of it.

Lets hear it for the old times !!!!!!!!!

Adios,

Andy

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
how about :
spangles
jamboree bags

The comedian Richard Digence who is also an excellent guitar player wrote many comedic songs, one of which is all about the sweets of childhood that are no longer available.He mentions loads in the song it's very clever , i will try to find it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Recent memories for me as we have an old fashioned sweet shop near me. Picked up a big mix for the journey down to Devon at the weekend.

Favourites for me are sour apples and flying saucers.

P.S. No matter how many times they change the names, they will always be Marathons and Opal Fruits.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bull's eyes
American gums - the hard ones
Licorice Allsorts - especially the Coconut logs and the one with aniseed on it.

Modern favourite - Fox's Glacier Dark - licorice and aniseed

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same as Medwayjon, Army + Navy. Also love that crackle / pop powder that went nuts in your mouth.

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
kop kopps and chewing nuts were my 2 faves, ooh and texan bars.....

Two of my favourites there as well !!!

Used to love pineapple chunks and rhubarb+custard .

Remember sweet cigarettes with the 'red' lit end and the sweet tobacco ( shredded Coconut covered in chocolate powder ) sold in little pouches ?

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For the past several months I've been looking for Butterscotch, the sort you used to be able to get in the gold wrappers. My Nan used to love them & somehow unsuprisingly I got a taste for them too.

Have been looking all over for them...

There again, it really wouldn't supprise me if she'd got them sent down from scotland or something, as we lived in the North East of England at the time the boarder really wasn't too far away.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Some good 'alternative' threads appearing on here again.

Well you all beat me to space dust, what was it made of? But awesome stuff, just pour in the pack and open your mouth, wow.

Used to like the aniseed balls.

Fizzy cola bottles, now sour cola courtesy of Haribo, god bless'em.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the butterscotch was Callard & Bowser, really tasted of the butter. Came in a long 'sleeve' if I remember rightly.
How did I forget that, I can taste it now.

look what I found . .
http://www.sugarboy.co.uk/acatalog/Callard_&_Bowser.html

bad news about the butterscotch though - taken over by Suchard and they've stopped production

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/mtype2/whatever/archives/callard_and_bowser_butterscotch/

you could also go here to drool!

http://www.sweetmemorylane.co.uk/shop/