What is your favourite golf specific gym exercise?

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just being generally fitter would help a lot of golfers, you do not have to train for golf

If you are tired and not fresh playing 18 into the wind, lose weight, work on cardio and get a little, in all honesty anyone asking about golf specific exercise, really just needs to do exercise regularly and it will take care of itself

Matt-GFS

www.fittestgolfer.com
Just being generally fitter would help a lot of golfers, you do not have to train for golf

If you are tired and not fresh playing 18 into the wind, lose weight, work on cardio and get a little, in all honesty anyone asking about golf specific exercise, really just needs to do exercise regularly and it will take care of itself

I agree with generally being fitter will help a lot of golfers, not having to train for golf. However golf fitness is more than just feeling fit. What if you want to improve your power, strength, muscular endurance? You wouldn't do maximal lifts like a power lifter, you would train your golf specific actions through power motions- exercising specifically for golf.

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I agree with generally being fitter will help a lot of golfers, not having to train for golf. However golf fitness is more than just feeling fit. What if you want to improve your power, strength, muscular endurance? You wouldn't do maximal lifts like a power lifter, you would train your golf specific actions through power motions- exercising specifically for golf.

Of course, but that is like asking a learner driver to go down a motorway before they are comfortable with clutch control, golfers are as a group, overweight and unfit

The first step is do SOMETHING regularly whatever works for you go ahead, THEN start refining it for a sport... running before you can walk seems like a good analogy too.... golfers are as a group, overweight and unfit, step 1 go do something that gets you out breath regularly (Downing a pint does not count) if you can stick it for a month, then you might hook someone into golf specific.

I just do not see that the average lard ass will start training for golf as the results will be too slow and hard to measure
much better to do something you like, develop a bit of the mentality to train then refine it later into golf specific

In your shoes i would do an introduction to fitness THEN take people to golf specific, so you can show them weight loss, improve VO2 max etc, i like measurable gains and on a golf course you will struggle to see them, i never met a golfer who hit the ball over 300 yards that was not strong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2s6kX1_KTc&t=47s says he is not going to do weights, not expecting much progress what speed did he start on?

Last edited:

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He's only on 96-102 mph... did you hear his reason for not doing weights though? It's actually appropriate as he's right doing weights on their own without any explosive exercises will make the muscles smaller (and possibly more likely to tear when you take to a golf swing)

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
He's only on 96-102 mph... did you hear his reason for not doing weights though? It's actually appropriate as he's right doing weights on their own without any explosive exercises will make the muscles smaller (and possibly more likely to tear when you take to a golf swing)

i did not sit and watch the whole clip

Weights should be part of the routine, you want to work on

Range of motion, speed, strength and technique

As i say, i never met a single person who hits over 300 yard drives that you could say is not strong

I think people who have never trained expect to go the gym for a week and turn into a Mr Olympia

Last edited:

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've played with a couple of skinny lads who I would say weren't strong per se but were extremely flexible with great technique so although in general what you're saying is true there are exceptions

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've played with a couple of skinny lads who I would say weren't strong per se but were extremely flexible with great technique so although in general what you're saying is true there are exceptions

Ok let me say VERY long hitters then.. as lanky people have long lever advantage but there is a limit and you gotta be strong to hit it long for your body type

By the way he is assuming his muscles well get shorter and tighter they wont, if he trains them with full range of motion he will have more flexibility and strength, male olympic gymnast for example...

When people say oh if i train i will get tight, they are people who have pretty much never worked out as it is total rubbish.

Last edited:

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
Tiptree, Essex - Where they make the Jam!
www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk
Been blogging about golf fitness recently as I've started a weekly class with Liam Clayton (from Colchester), who you're probably aware of being an Essex boy. Working with him throughout the winter as a guinea pig to see if it actually works.
Feel great at the moment, the diet is good, the working out is good and I've started playing a bit better! Definitely coming off the course feeling less tired than usual.

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Been reading your blog and it sounds really good wish the did something similar at my club especially so your weekly classes etc would really motivate me more than the gym ha

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just come
Across this thread anyone able to get the picture from the post above on?

Ditto to the the above, had me induction day yesterday at the gym. Soddin Eck, me Rrrrs and legs have never ached so much. I fell into the car, me legs had gone. Back tomorrow.

Matt-GFS

www.fittestgolfer.com
Just come
Across this thread anyone able to get the picture from the post above on?

Hi! Thanks for reminding me about this thread...love an email notification!

I'm happy to add any of you to my online golf summer performance program. It's 28 days long. You can sign up with this link http://www.thefittest.online/golf-fitness-app

(hope that is ok to post moderators ;))