What TWO things really wind you up on your course?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
i see a bit, for instance im a member at a very tree lined course and have seen on numerous occasions people taking an unfair stance by treading on a branch to keep it out of their swing path, or hooking a branch onto another......... now that is an infringement i believe (please if im wrong let me know)

This is interesting. I always understood ( and please correct me if I am wrong)
that you could sort of back into the branches of a bush, pushing them to one side, to facilitate your swing so long as you don't break one. Furthermore, if one does break in the actual shot, then there is no penalty.
There are many rhododendron bushes on my course that one finds oneself in the edges of. So would like to be sure about this.😊

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not being able to play before 7.30am even though in the summer it's light by 5.00am.
How come? Our locker rooms don't open until 6.30 but there's nothing stopping members going out before then. Green staff have absolute right of way and anyone playing must wait to be invited to play by the green staff but other than that we have no restrictions. Different for visitors of course and they cannot go out without paying in the pro shop and our green staff will approach anyone they don't recognise as a member and have been known to ask people to leave the course when caught sneaking on early and unpaid

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How come? Our locker rooms don't open until 6.30 but there's nothing stopping members going out before then. Green staff have absolute right of way and anyone playing must wait to be invited to play by the green staff but other than that we have no restrictions. Different for visitors of course and they cannot go out without paying in the pro shop and our green staff will approach anyone they don't recognise as a member and have been known to ask people to leave the course when caught sneaking on early and unpaid

It's the rules. When questioned the response is "it's always been that way". As has been quoted on this forum a number of times change is a dirty word at some established clubs.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
1. Rabbits and the destruction they've caused to the edges of many bunkers

2. The greenkeeping staffs seemingly unwillingness (lots of double letters in those few words) to allow an area of the course to fully recover from a repair before allowing golfers to walk over it again.

On the upside....we have a new head greenkeeper so give it a few months and I'll hopefully have two different items to moan about.

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
At our course

Bunkers - absolutely no consistency and to be honest for the most part take away from the course

GCW - a lot of older people who still think golf should be played in plaids by gentlemen and young whippersnappers should be seen and not heard. There is a change coming but slowly. One cold winter next year should see us make headway :ROFLMAO:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is interesting. I always understood ( and please correct me if I am wrong)
that you could sort of back into the branches of a bush, pushing them to one side, to facilitate your swing so long as you don't break one. Furthermore, if one does break in the actual shot, then there is no penalty.
There are many rhododendron bushes on my course that one finds oneself in the edges of. So would like to be sure about this.😊
Two seperate issues.

You may fairly and reasonably take your stance - if things end up behind you, to one side, or even broken; that's not a problem.

On the other hand you may not move alive branches, brambles or whatever at all in preparation for your stroke except in the above.

Rule 8.1 is your guide

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
The thing to do is leave AJR.

Thing is I love the course otherwise. The greens have always been a weakness if you ask me but this past 12-18 months they just seem to be constantly working on them. Not helped that it's usually a Monday so our comp on a Tuesday is affected. Last week it was a verti-cut, this week it was an overseed and on we go. The biggest annoyance is that it is all around having it in good shape for the men's monthly medal/men's big competitions!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It's the rules. When questioned the response is "it's always been that way". As has been quoted on this forum a number of times change is a dirty word at some established clubs.

It's usually to allow green keepers to prepare the course without getting hindered by golfers flying balls on to greens. Early morning cut of the greens and rake the bunkers.

Allows the rest of the day to do any other jobs.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's usually to allow green keepers to prepare the course without getting hindered by golfers flying balls on to greens. Early morning cut of the greens and rake the bunkers.

Allows the rest of the day to do any other jobs.
I get that but at my course if the green staff are working on the hole as you approach it you have to wait for them to give you permission to play. They can decide to rake a bunker or two or finish mowing the green but out rule before 8.30 is they have right of way and you can't hit your shot. Works well in practice

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I get that but at my course if the green staff are working on the hole as you approach it you have to wait for them to give you permission to play. They can decide to rake a bunker or two or finish mowing the green but out rule before 8.30 is they have right of way and you can't hit your shot. Works well in practice

Different courses have different rules.