What sort of baller are you?

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
2019 Pro V1 for me now.

I bought quite a few 2019 Grade A balls to put in my shag bag and try out, TP5, TP5x, Pro V1 & Pro V1X along with the Z Star and XV. Spent a few days practicing with them on a whole range of shots. There is no huge difference between the selection for me at least I can do the same thing with each ball however I'm a high ball hitter and get high spin, I don't balloon any shots with the higher spin options however I notice they climb higher than I'd prefer and in to the wind is where I would get some ridiculously high shots that would cost me.

The 2019 Pro V1 suits me best really, love the feel, lower spin and trajectory and penetrating in the wind so I took up the loyalty rewarded offer and got 4 dozen to get me through the year.

I'll still practice down the practice ground with a mix of 2017 & 2019 premium grade balls as well as practice rounds on the course. But for competitions I like a new shiny ball so the Pro V1 will be strictly used for such rounds.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I buy used Srixon soft feel on E-bay. Primarily on a cost basis.

Personally think this is one of the most over thunk aspects about golf.

Very difficult for most amateur players to truly determine much difference between one decent ball or another. Assuming you are avoiding the 'distance' balls.

While I do have a load of Srixons that I use, I'm more than happy to pick up balls I find on the course (assuming they are not a harder ball built for distance).

Golf is expensive enough without carving £2 or £3 into a field every so often.

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Vice Tour
i switched from pro v1 to the vice balls as i noticed no difference and the vice ball is considerably cheaper

JMSAFC87

Visit site
I buy used Srixon soft feel on E-bay. Primarily on a cost basis.

Personally think this is one of the most over thunk aspects about golf.

Very difficult for most amateur players to truly determine much difference between one decent ball or another. Assuming you are avoiding the 'distance' balls.

While I do have a load of Srixons that I use, I'm more than happy to pick up balls I find on the course (assuming they are not a harder ball built for distance).

Golf is expensive enough without carving £2 or £3 into a field every so often.

I buy all my balls on Ebay. People on here have reservations against it but I personally haven't had any issues.

D

Deleted member 1147

Pro V1's

Because I bought 4 dozen for the price of 3 dozen, in the winter of 2017, and still have a load left.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Going to be giving the ERC a try and also tempted off the back of the Pinnacle Soft thread via the FJ write up to do some kind of head to head with one of those v the NXT (as it was) or the new Tour Soft and see if there is any discernible difference. Might also look at the Wilson Duo Professional. The thing is there has never been so many balls on the market but while that's good in terms of consumer choice how baffling and hard is it to also find one that suits an individual

D

Deleted member 25172

Just ordered 3 dozen Vice Pro, so will hopefully be enough to cover for the summer.

All reviews and stats looks the same as for Pro V1's but half price. I'll take that.

With the above said, it probably wouldn't of matter if I chose to play with the cheapest Top Flite's I could possibly find.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Impressed never seen them this cheap, is that ebay?

easy to find for 25/26 a dozen on ebay and cheaper again for 2-6 dozen bulk buys. I then wait for the 20% of spend codes that come around once or twice a year and buy enough for the year for a couple of us. You wont see in shops at this price

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
I use anything I have in my bag! maybe to my detriment. I have a dozen truvis I was bought for christmas that i want to use when the summer golf starts again but apart from that i don't really know where to start with golf balls.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I play whatever I get a deal on. I still have a couple of sleeves of Nike Rzn balls (they must be a year old by now), after that I have a AD333 tour box I picked up for a good price on Amazon on Black Friday.

When I had to buy outside a deal it is usually Taylormade Project(a) balls. I got a free box when subscribing to GM and just keep buying the same since.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have some yellow zstars layed in for the summer, acquired at a nice discount.
I really think they save shots sure due to their visibility. I guess that reflects very badly on my eyesight.
I prefer premium balls mainly for their feel off the putter and around the green. I'm sure they don't make a blind bit of difference anywhere else for me.

Buckbeak

Visit site
Sorry to jump in on this with a slightly different topic, but what are the main benefits of keeping with the same ball? Is it just consistency?
And does it matter what ball a higher handicap player uses? I'm a 22 handicapper and have random balls I've found or bought from charity shops etc. Would it be beneficial to buy a certain range of balls or does it not matter until I get my handicap down and I'm consistently hitting the ball well?
(Please feel free to ignore me and carry on answering the original topic)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sorry to jump in on this with a slightly different topic, but what are the main benefits of keeping with the same ball? Is it just consistency?
And does it matter what ball a higher handicap player uses? I'm a 22 handicapper and have random balls I've found or bought from charity shops etc. Would it be beneficial to buy a certain range of balls or does it not matter until I get my handicap down and I'm consistently hitting the ball well?
(Please feel free to ignore me and carry on answering the original topic)
I think there are a number of factors to bear in mind including how many balls per round you're currently losing, what budget you have to buy balls, and perhaps more importantly what is important to you in choosing a ball. Are you after more distance or do you want something that spins a lot. What sort of feel do you prefer. I think personally there are some benefits from playing the same ball, especially in terms of distance control (especially with the short irons) and getting to know how it'll react when chipping and pitching

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Going to be giving the ERC a try and also tempted off the back of the Pinnacle Soft thread via the FJ write up to do some kind of head to head with one of those v the NXT (as it was) or the new Tour Soft and see if there is any discernible difference. Might also look at the Wilson Duo Professional. The thing is there has never been so many balls on the market but while that's good in terms of consumer choice how baffling and hard is it to also find one that suits an individual
So, on the same day you respond in two separate posts with 2 different answers to the question asked....so is your real answer whatever's currently being marketed, or in the bag, or round and white (maybe)?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So, on the same day you respond in two separate posts with 2 different answers to the question asked....so is your real answer whatever's currently being marketed, or in the bag, or round and white (maybe)?
Not quite. Decided to do a review of the ERC for my youtube channel and off the back of the FJ thread decided to see what's in a name and how well a Pinnacle Soft really plays and again do a youtube video. Same with the Wilson if I can get hold over to AG and pick some up. Unless the ERC is amazing can't see it altering my personal preferences

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not quite. Decided to do a review of the ERC for my youtube channel and off the back of the FJ thread decided to see what's in a name and how well a Pinnacle Soft really plays and again do a youtube video. Same with the Wilson if I can get hold over to AG and pick some up. Unless the ERC is amazing can't see it altering my personal preferences
All between 7 in the morning and late that same night?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
All between 7 in the morning and late that same night?
What has it got to do with you. As it happens I've had a few interesting offers regarding my youtube and some collaborations in that time frame which has forced me to kick start myself again to make some new content and the ball tests seems a quick and easy starting point. Your obvious interest is touching