What shape is your game (mindset) in? are you trying to get better or on a slippery slope?

Where are you at with your game?

• I'm trying to get better and probably WILL improve.

Votes: 41 69.5%
  • I'm still trying to get better but probably WON'T improve.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I think I have plateaued and will just play the way I do, I'm not really trying to get any better.

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • It's more than likely downhill from here!!

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I want to get better.
I only play a couple of times a week, and very rarely practice. So to have reached a handicap of 2.7 is pretty good.
But to improve now I think I need to practice more, certainly at least one range session per week and an evening on the shortgame area.
However, I prefer to play, so if I get a spare evening I would rather play 9 holes with some mates.
Hence, "I want to improve, but probably won't"
Off your cap is the hardest to improve.
You must be good at most things.
When I was off three I knew one area where I needed to improve ( putting) so spent time on that.
Can you identify your weak link. .?
I used to play 9 holes but spent time on my putting while playing .
Time is the key ,you have it or you don’t.

D

Deleted member 25172

Actively trying to and believe I still can get better. I enjoy practicing, so that's not really an obstacle in itself, but it all depends on how much time you have to get both the practice and just playing in.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I believe that there is room for improvement and definitely looking to get lower. After four years of improving my handicap by one shot a year, knocked three off last year and want to keep that improvement going.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I want to get better, and I know I can get better. And am getting some coaching (which I haven't done in a lot of years). So, I guess that all adds up to a further rise in handicap when the course re-open...

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I believe that there is room for improvement and definitely looking to get lower. After four years of improving my handicap by one shot a year, knocked three off last year and want to keep that improvement going.
Well done.
I made a list of weaknesses first down to strengths.
Then practiced them in that order.

AliMc

Visit site
Playing much more than I used to since I retired 3 years ago, come down from 8 to 7 already under WHS, playing as well as I ever have, with some big differentials to drop off soon I'm pretty confident of getting back down to 5 eventually

D

Deleted member 1147

Off your cap is the hardest to improve.
You must be good at most things.
When I was off three I knew one area where I needed to improve ( putting) so spent time on that.
Can you identify your weak link. .?
I used to play 9 holes but spent time on my putting while playing .
Time is the key ,you have it or you don’t.
I can identify putting as a weakness, but my main weakness is a general lack of consistency. I hit too many poor shots of all types - as such I need proper dedicated practice, preferably something measurable.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I've gone for plateaued though playing every other day last year showed me that I can play much better than my norm if I play often enough - last year was also the first time I've ever played wearing glasses and I think it helped my ball striking.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For the past 8 years, ever since I damaged my rotator cuffs, the graph of my game looks like one of those slides that has flat sections.

Little by little 5 shots increase in my handicap and 20 - 30 yards off my iron length.

My body will not not let me practice any more other than a bit of very short game greenside stuff.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can identify putting as a weakness, but my main weakness is a general lack of consistency. I hit too many poor shots of all types - as such I need proper dedicated practice, preferably something measurable.
Yes I know what you mean.
Playing well and then where did that come from.
Most low guys have them now and again but you can’t have to many!
I found that was more concentration than mechanics.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Practicing my putting l loads as I don’t sink as many as I used to. Can still knock it around but with a bit of range time and regular putting practice I will get better.

Currently off 13 and aiming to get back to 10 by Christmas, but I as long as I can get back to enjoying it I’m happy.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There isn't a vote for couldn't give a ? Whatever the word is. WHS has completely messed with my head, where I was, what my plans were, how to get there. My view is that this new system is so random, why should I care? My previous low was 8.8, to get to play off 9, I would now need an index off 7, currently 10.1. Dream on. Can't be bothered with it. I am done.
Happy to play hit and giggle, and if that results in playing off 24, I really couldn't care less.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am not at my past best, but that doesn’t mean I cannot get back there. I think when the distance stuff stops pestering me and I get down to just playing within my limits the shooting low is and will happen. The issue is just having time to keep stuff bubbling and being a man who works 40+ hrs a week, and father leaves little time during the day. When summer comes then it will be down the driving range on non bath nights and just getting some practice in. Short game stuff needs a little look at so dare I say it some sort m course practice.. not going to care about WHS it has some loop holes that I will exploit

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Possible that my view is a little different as I am just thankful to be playing golf.

After a lengthy lay off due to injury (which initially looked like never playing again) I got back to it last year. My swing and, therefore my game has had to adapt to my new restrictions in movement.

It all means that I probably won't get better but I can at least stay where I am and just keep enjoying playing. I have adapted quite well to lost distance and relying more on irons and wedges.

Time will tell.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Possible that my view is a little different as I am just thankful to be playing golf.

After a lengthy lay off due to injury (which initially looked like never playing again) I got back to it last year. My swing and, therefore my game has had to adapt to my new restrictions in movement.

It all means that I probably won't get better but I can at least stay where I am and just keep enjoying playing. I have adapted quite well to lost distance and relying more on irons and wedges.

Time will tell.
I found a little loss of distance just means more accuracy.
After a big injury it’s just nice to play again.
Enjoy.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am still trying to improve although probably wont as my putting constantly holds me back, I was intending concentrating on improving it this winter but have been thwarted somewhat. My main drawback is that I cannot read greens unless the slopes are very obvious. Tee to green my game is pretty strong but I constantly take more than 36 putts in a round.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I’ve not picked up a club since Xmas, but feeing positive about a break. Meant to be attending a class this Saturday online on the mental approach to the game by a company called mindfactor being organised by a club in a member of, will be nice to have something to think about

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm interested to see how it goes when we return. In the first lockdown, which was about 7 weeks without golf I think, I only managed two small practise sessions with a net which I don't think added much benefit - went back to the course expecting to be awful, and promptly played some of best and most consistent golf over the next two to three months. Almost like not playing acted like a mental reset which proved positive.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Actively trying to and believe I still can get better. I enjoy practicing, so that's not really an obstacle in itself, but it all depends on how much time you have to get both the practice and just playing in.

This is exactly the case for me. I'm just c. 20 shots behind Lilyhawk! The aim this year (at the end of last) was to spend as much time as possible in January and February at the driving range with maybe 1 or 2 rounds thrown in. Clearly, that's gone really well!

Over the last 18 months my iron striking has been pretty solid. Getting some decent distance and confidence. Next big thing is really working on Driver and getting a similar level of confidence with that as I have with the irons. It was coming towards the end of last year after a lesson with Nick Duc at Holtye. I know I have it in me to play bogey golf, I've done it before. The aim is to get consistently to that level. Not losing 4/5 shots a round to poor driving will definitely help with that.

That said, the first few rounds back out I think (hope?!) I'll just enjoy being back out again. It's much needed tbh.

AliMc

Visit site
I'm interested to see how it goes when we return. In the first lockdown, which was about 7 weeks without golf I think, I only managed two small practise sessions with a net which I don't think added much benefit - went back to the course expecting to be awful, and promptly played some of best and most consistent golf over the next two to three months. Almost like not playing acted like a mental reset which proved positive.
This for me too, didn't pick up a club during the first lockdown, had a couple of practice swings on the 1st tee and knocked it down the middle hitting it as well as I ever have just now, long may it continue (when we get back after the snow) !