What shape is your game (mindset) in? are you trying to get better or on a slippery slope?

Where are you at with your game?

• I'm trying to get better and probably WILL improve.

Votes: 41 69.5%
  • I'm still trying to get better but probably WON'T improve.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I think I have plateaued and will just play the way I do, I'm not really trying to get any better.

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • It's more than likely downhill from here!!

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Just wondering what your mindeset is with your own game?
Are you still super enthusiastic and looking to knock a ton of shots off your h/cap and practicing as much as your body allows? Perhaps you are looking to still try and improve and maybe lower your h/cap by a couple of strokes or do you not really care anymore and just go with what you've got?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Relatively new to the game but loving it and enjoy practicing so I'm hoping to knock a fair few shots off this year. Started really seeing improvements at the end of last year and itching to get back out now.

Need to make the most of it before the little one arrives in June!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A bit of all 4 really..
I cant say I'm trying to improve because I don't have lessons but the act of playing may well mean I improve.
I'm also quite prepared to have plateaued. I'm a firm believer that, at some point, you're going to stop getting better for whatever reason.
And it could well be all downhill from here. I'm not getting any younger, have what will probably become an increasingly dodgy knee as well as the usual aches and pains that come with entering the back 9.
So, I suppose, a bit of everything. What will be will be.
I'm still capable of playing to par, certainly on the course I play mostly, but don't have the patience to put the practice in to actively improve.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
prob on the slippery slope down now, I'm playing some of the best golf since i started playing, but the course changes have made my home track at least 3 shots harder for me, where i was prev rewarded for a good straight drive there is now a bunker i can't carry and have to lay up ioff the tee on holes that are 500 yards plus, one being 550

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I am still trying to improve and expect to get better. Ever since I started this game I have done the same although the improvement I am referring to is of the miniscule kind.

Other than comp's almost every time I go out I focus on technique rather than score, working on the flaws that creep into my game, alignment, coming over the top and grip.

I have also never had a year when I didn't change equipment, heck I probably haven't had a 3-month period where I didn't. This year will be different, no changes to the bag, and that will make a difference to my game.

The improvement itself, miniscule, probably no more than a shot or two off my average round, but at my age anything downwards is a bonus.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
My play bombed over the last three or four years so I expect to improve from where I am now, but I doubt I'll ever get back to where I was.

AAC

Visit site
Whilst I would still like to improve I have a worsening spinal condition which means that I can't always make 18 holes & more than one game a week is a rarity now as it take days to recover from the previous game, I now have to try and accept a declining standard whilst still deriving some enjoyment from playing.

D

Deleted member 21258

Given everything going on, the get worse option.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My game has just been getting better and better these past 3 years.

I will be working to keep my run of not going over 90, which I have had for a good while now.

My putting is improving, my swing is improving and my mental game is improving.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've gone for "I think I have plateaued and will just play the way I do, I'm not really trying to get any better."

As it's the closest to my mindset but not quite. A few years ago, I got to my old-money best h/c of 9.8 and was pretty certain that a h/c of around 5 was a possibility but I knew the only way to do it was playing at least twice a week with regular practice. I couldn't fit that type of commitment around work and family. The last couple of years I've enjoyed infrequent social and tourist golf more and my WHS handicap is just a nonsense with a very mis-representative HI of 7.7, I'm much much worse than that through lack of play.

Maybe I've lost the spark but when the season picks up again I'll be overjoyed if I could even play once a fortnight and just enjoy whatever comes. That'll be enough for a good long while I think.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Trying to get better - and will.

Only started playing in 2020, having lessons with the club pro, my scores are dropping gradually at the moment and I believe I have the ability to get down to a single digit handicap if I graft for a few years - it'll be putting that needs the largest improvement for that!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There was no option for this in the poll - but I just enjoy playing, and the more I play the better I get naturally. I wouldn't call that trying to improve, it's just like a happy by-product of playing more. Hopefully eventually I can get back to playing as much as I did in 2019, when my game improved the most.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have plateaued this last 5 years I’m 66 now and don’t expect my h/c to come down much, I have never really practiced much I just found it boring and would much rather go out and play.

I have had plenty of time to practice this last 10 years and think if I did my h/c could have been lower, I still get a buzz from the anticipation of going out to play but would never get that from practice

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In fact James the last time I tried any real practice is when I tried stack and tilt ?. To be honest that only lasted a month or so.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've seen vast improvement over the last 2 years. Hopefully I stay fit for a long time- and I don't see that changing either I've never been one to let the fitness slip. I think for me it's the time to dedicate (practice/play/lessons) to truly get better that'll get in the way. Regardless I love the game and that's what keeps me coming back and it's an added bonus that the handicap keeps getting lower.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Having just retired and with unlimited playing/practice time now I fully expect my handicap to come down. I've not lost any distance, in fact I hit it as far now as I've ever done so if I improve my short game I should take 1 possibly 2 shots off my handicap.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think when you get to a pretty low cap it’s very hard to accept getting worse.
I had length when younger although I was never very long.
So nowadays I am hitting longer irons into greens
The tech has helped keep me where I was 10 yrs ago but that’s starting to stop now imo.
I work on my 80yds and in so keeping my scores decent.
Getting better. .? Possibly one or two shots but that’s it if I have a purple patch.
You might get better at some things as you get older but length isn’t one of them.
I just try to enjoy my golf now. There’s worse places to be.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have managed to maintain a level of competency and my handicap despite years battling the unmentionables. But I have -I feel - for the first time identified with my pro the remedy. And with that discovery, and with a little bit of application, things can only get better...but don’t let me know...?

D

Deleted member 1147

I want to get better.
I only play a couple of times a week, and very rarely practice. So to have reached a handicap of 2.7 is pretty good.
But to improve now I think I need to practice more, certainly at least one range session per week and an evening on the shortgame area.
However, I prefer to play, so if I get a spare evening I would rather play 9 holes with some mates.
Hence, "I want to improve, but probably won't"