What resources would you recommend to learn course management?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not hacking it around the golf course (y)
TBH i don't know if theres any books.... but experience would be the best way to lean it and playing with much better players and see how they do it. old codgets who were once low handicaps is quite and eye opener

Wolf

Visit site
Im sure someone will come along and quote a Bob Rotella book, link to a magazine article or some YouTube numpty that claims to have the answers.

But truth is get out try different things in practice, play with older guys and some of the better lady golfers to. Reason being you tend to find they're the players who often make smarter decisions and don't take on shots they know they can't make unless there is no other choice.

It really is about remembering to take a moment assess what's there and choose the smartest possible play even if that takes birdie or par out of the equation, better to settle for bogey at worst than trying the miracle to save par and ending up with double or worse

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A good place to start can be the overhead shots of holes that you can find on club websites, strokesavers or Google earth
If you know how farish you hit the ball you can work out some sort of strategy based on reasonable shots.
For example, if theres a lake at 220 yards and your sunday best driver goes 230 then you dont use it. But if your su day best only goes 200 then you do.
You can "play" different tee shots to see how far your 2nd shots are going to be..
When you get to the course you, obviously, have to play the shots that you .leave yourself.
Look at what the potential penalty of a poor shot could be.
You'll probably find that playing a shorter, safer shot - rather than go for a Seveesque shot - ends with a better or equivalent score more often than not.
After that its remembering your limitations and trying not to exceed them.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is there any go to book / videos about anyone can point me towards please?

As has been mentioned even if not sounding impressed by them, rotella (if u like learning by anecdotes) golf is not a game of perfect...karl Morris stuff, Harvey penick has the odd bit of wisdom in his little red book.
Mark broadies every shot counts would be applicable in this regard too.

Often people who ask this may suffer from poor shot selection choices (not just clubbing but type of shot), been able to take your medicine can help and short game books can help in this regard.

You kind of just need to know your own game and be honest about it.

If u like reading and stats broadies book could be a good starting point.

Edit: foursomes is a great game for teaching you about course management

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perhaps a course walk lesson with a pro, so he can talk you through the options on each hole for that course. Even if youre not a member of that club, you would get an idea on thought processes and thinking channels.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One I used to use was nothing in the bag bigger than a 7 iron.
So 7 iron is 150yds
So any par four 450yds or under can be hit with 3 x 7iron.
Pat 5s hit with 3x7 iron + wedge .
This is a method designed to take most of the trees and bunkers out of the equation.
So a bunker 150yds off the tee you hit 8 iron so you can’t reach.
It does take a bit of getting used to.
Especially on par 3s that you can’t reach so you need to think about it.
You don’t say your handicap, but most high caps would have their eyes opened as long as they were ok hitting 7 iron and down properly.
The biggest problem I see is the 220yrd shot and just pull 3 wood hack in the trees then 6/7/8 or worse.
So 220yds is 7 iron plus 70 yard gap wedge to centre of green 2 putt =5.
It’s a discipline thing and takes some doing as we all think we can do what we see on telly.
Try it ,good luck.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One I used to use was nothing in the bag bigger than a 7 iron.
So 7 iron is 150yds
So any par four 450yds or under can be hit with 3 x 7iron.
Pat 5s hit with 3x7 iron + wedge .
This is a method designed to take most of the trees and bunkers out of the equation.
So a bunker 150yds off the tee you hit 8 iron so you can’t reach.
It does take a bit of getting used to.
Especially on par 3s that you can’t reach so you need to think about it.
You don’t say your handicap, but most high caps would have their eyes opened as long as they were ok hitting 7 iron and down properly.
The biggest problem I see is the 220yrd shot and just pull 3 wood hack in the trees then 6/7/8 or worse.
So 220yds is 7 iron plus 70 yard gap wedge to centre of green 2 putt =5.
It’s a discipline thing and takes some doing as we all think we can do what we see on telly.
Try it ,good luck.
Surely this is 4 shots????

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Get a playing lesson. The pro will watch what you do, how you prepare and where your misses are and can advise and help from there. I've had a few of these over the years and everyone has really highlighted some very simple but fundamental flaws

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I like the advice to play with a good Single Figure oldie or lady. They tend to know their limitations well and play within these limitations - and so utilise good and thoughtful course management to do so.

And there is always my favourite tip on this...

From Tommy Armour...

“Play the shot you‘ve got the greatest chance of playing well, and play the shot that makes the next shot easy”

Last edited:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Playing with a good player or pro and asking them to talk through how they would play with your skill set is likely to be by far the most useful, as they can address your specific game and existing decisions.

I have the Floyd book above. It's good.

I just listened to a good podcast which talked about how to score better - the "on the mark" pod of 18th February. It's with the authors of "lowest score wins".

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Play to your strengths
If you're not good at fairway woods, don't try and carry the pond at 200yards
If you're rubbish out of bunkers, aim for the back of the green.
If you're not straight with your driver, sell it.
etc

AdamW

Visit site
Heard some people trying to go above or below the pin on the green what is the determining factor in which one you should be aiming for? Is it to do with avoiding a down hill put if the green in sloping?