what new clubs should i look at

devonboy

Hacker
Visit site
Hey Guys,

Ive been playing consistently for a couple of years now. Just got my 3 cards in and been given 11 but generally shoot 80 around a par 72 and have on occasion shoot high 70's.

Currently playing Ben Hogen Apex ftx irons which are blades on the shorter irons and muscle backs on the longer irons.

Love these clubs, everything is right with them in terms of looks, ball flight, ability to shape shots, etc. But they're starting to look a little worn and getting a bit rusty.

So, what similar clubs should I be looking at in the market?

I think over the summer i can further reduce my handicap and get down to 7ish.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, what similar clubs should I be looking at in the market?

an obvious answer would be the Mizuno range; which model depending on whether you are buying new or SH.

but an even more obvious answer would be 'why limit yourself to getting similar?' the more open minded you are when getting new equipment the more likely you are to get the most suitable for you.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
an obvious answer would be the Mizuno range; which model depending on whether you are buying new or SH.

but an even more obvious answer would be 'why limit yourself to getting similar?' the more open minded you are when getting new equipment the more likely you are to get the most suitable for

Some very good advice given there.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you are really stuck on the idea of the same set up you have a few options

Nike pro combo offer the split set blade/mb set up

Otherwise you need a combo set which will work a slightly more expensive but is available from all the big brands

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go to a pro shop or range with a decent choice of clubs and ask the pro for some pointers. You are probably still improving fast, so your requirements may be different in another season or two, but no harm with a fitting now. The design of the head is largely a matter of choice or preference, but the choice of shaft is pretty important. Your old Hogans probably have a heavy steel shaft, and things have come on a bit since they were around.

No harm inb choosing a second hand set either. The new ones will be second hand soon enough anyway.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Go to a pro shop or range with a decent choice of clubs and ask the pro for some pointers. You are probably still improving fast, so your requirements may be different in another season or two, but no harm with a fitting now. The design of the head is largely a matter of choice or preference, but the choice of shaft is pretty important. Your old Hogans probably have a heavy steel shaft, and things have come on a bit since they were around.

No harm inb choosing a second hand set either. The new ones will be second hand soon enough anyway.
Second hand all day for me. Why give the tax man his share when you can pick up a really good newish model set for peanuts and let someone else take the depreciation? I have just bought a cracking set of Adams CB3 forged irons 4-w for £180. A third of the price of new and they are in as new condition.

devonboy

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys I went and had a little knock on a simulator with some mizunos and your dead right about the shafts.

My 6 iron was creating very little spin at around 2500rpm and after a play with a couple of mizunos with different shafts it was getting upto around 4500rpm. Ball flight and distance were pretty much the same!

Not quite sure about the simulator though as it said I carried the 6 iron 185 and I definatley don't hit a 6 iron that far!!!

Would prefer second hand to be honest, cant justify 700 notes on clubs so just need to find a shaft that suits and keep them peeled :)