What makes a good amateur/corporate event

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Followimg the mizuno golf pairs thread got me thinking. I've played in quite a few ranging from corporate events to pro ams to titleist matchplay. some good and some other not so good but in your opinion what makes a good golf event?

The fee comparable to standard green fees?
The value addedicated stuff- prizes, dinners etc?
Or the social aspect of meeting new people?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The overall organization of the day is often what 'makes' an event for me and can easily make up for other 'shortcomings' re price or course quality etc

One of the slickest I went to was (ironically) run by Turkish Airlines and it was clear they knew their stuff about managing a corporate golf event (indeed several of the staff who were there, run these round the world for TA as their full time jobs, so maybe not a surprise they were very good at it)

But from arrival through to meal etc it was organized to make you feel a bit special (at a course you're already made to feel a bit special anyway just on a regular day) and from a golfers point of view everything was as you'd want it

Fees & prizes don't really come into it

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Perm any 1 or more from

It's all about the prize table
It's all about the course
It's all about the charity being supported
It's all about overall value for the entry fee

Regarding how it appeals to enter

Completely agree with Slab in terms of what happens next! Been on some really slick ones - but they have included professional corporate teams, clubs and not forgetting forum stalwarts such as Smiffy, Richart and TXL; all of whom have delivered brilliant experiences on the day.
I've also been to complete shambles run by professional corporate teams, clubs and individuals!

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not at all worried about the prizes as I never expect to be amongst them!

Whether I enter would be determined by:
  1. How much the entry fee is compared to the quality of the course on offer
  2. Which charity is being supported

How much I enjoy it is solely down to the quality of the organisation. The best ones I've been on make you feel like a pro for the day (e.g. chat with rules officials in advance, bespoke scorecard, starter, marshals on the course, recorders hut/office at the end).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i think the only issue with some of these in particular the national comps is the better the prizes the more chance of unscrupulous types appearing.. short game wizards etc

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The best corporate events, imo, are slick and professional. Easy to sign in, friendly face, talk you through the day, a little goodie bag with some nice touches in, usually 3 balls, nice ball marker, pitch repairer course guide. Not cheap and nasty, it's about image. The course needs to be good, obvious but sometimes forgotten. Little touches like an open half way house or a buggy that comes round offering snacks and a drink go down well. Even something simple like someone coming round in a buggy asking how the day is going is a nice touch.

Couldn't give a monkeys about prizes. It's lovely to do well but a round of applause and the pride of having done well is enough for me.

I've played one open, a very different beastie to a corporate day. I still expect a friendly face, someone to tell me how everything will work, where to go etc. I don't expect goodies but a half way house / drinks buggy would still be a nice touch. You obviously get prizes at an open. Big prizes seem to attract dodgy golfers so I would rather see modest prizes, pro shop vouchers that can be widely used, that go down quite a few places rather than 2-3 big prizes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Charity being supported
Quality of the course
Cost (value for money)
The company (and format)
The quality of food.

Most of the events I've been to have been professionally run and very sleek. Some have had some fantastic charity auctions or a guest speaker after. To be honest though, as long as I turn up play well, the charity makes some money, I can put up with most things

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
It’s ultimately about the course and organisation for me. I want to feel like a pro for a day.

Not bothered about where the money goes or who wins prizes.