What is the ruling?

MACM85

Visit site
Hello all,

Posting this on behalf of my Mrs as she asked the question and frankly I didn't know the answer.

Played in a ladies comp on the weekend. Player A when teeing up would tee her ball up but also place a tee to the side of the ball to practice her shot on, When taking her tee shot that tee would stay in the ground and guess act as an aid or path for her to follow.

When on fairway on rough, She would place a tee next to her ball to practice her swing and then leave the tee in the ground to play the shot.

I am led to believe this would count as using a training aid on the course and would be deemed against the rules but I am not 100% clear. Mrs tried to look it up online but couldn't find anything matching the exact scanerio. Does anyone on here know of the ruling or shed some light on the matter?

Thanks

salfordlad

Visit site
Definitely not permitted. Depending precisely on what is in the player's head, different rules may need to be cited to identify the breach. For example: if the player is using the tee to assist with line of play, breach of 10.2b(1); if to assist in taking a stance, breach of 10.2b(3); but on information provided so far, closest looks to be breach of 4.3a, using equipment in an abnormal way to create a potential advantage. And if the player doesn't believe they are getting an advantage, they shouldn't be doing it.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's interesting how before you even consider what rule(s) are involved, you just know that what she does is wrong.

The woman in question should look for a nearby daisy or dandelion.

MACM85

Visit site
It's interesting how before you even consider what rule(s) are involved, you just know that what she does is wrong.

The woman in question should look for a nearby daisy or dandelion.

I am told that in the group another lady did mention that she can't use the tee as an aid but it caused a few disgruntled words so they decided to leave it and check off the course and go back to the situation. Lady in question I beleive is fairly new to golf and playing in the ladies competitions. My other half and the lady who mentioned it are not looking to have any aggro towards her or call her out. More a case of giving her the heads up if she was to play with some other members who aren't as polite and diplomatic.

salfordlad

Visit site
I am told that in the group another lady did mention that she can't use the tee as an aid but it caused a few disgruntled words so they decided to leave it and check off the course and go back to the situation. Lady in question I beleive is fairly new to golf and playing in the ladies competitions. My other half and the lady who mentioned it are not looking to have any aggro towards her or call her out. More a case of giving her the heads up if she was to play with some other members who aren't as polite and diplomatic.
All good, we need to guide the new chums gently.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

Quite so and admirably sensitive. I'm sure your wife be very polite when she suggests that the lady knocks the heads of daisies or dandelions with her practice swing. ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A good approach I've found works well is...
''Hey Doris*, can we have a quick chat about a slight rules infringement that just took place''