What is the point of lessons if you cant replicate it on the course?

Siolag

Visit site
Maybe try and have a lesson on the course?

It’s one thing hitting shots off a consistently flat surface, quite another when you have different lies, slopes, a card in your hand if it’s competitive and so on.

A lot really depends on what it is you are trying to put in play.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Following a lesson (and historically I do not do lessons...) I am working on something down the practice ground. It's going fine...on the practice ground. But I have been as rubbish as before on the course. What was the point, never going to happen.

However....

As I have more often repeated and repeated what I have been told to do on the PG - all of a sudden I am starting to hit one or two decently (to PG standard) on the course. Still lots of rubbish. But for me I'm getting there.

I am finding that the more I go to the PG; take my stance and address the ball and then hit it well - the more comfortable I am becoming taking my stance; addressing the ball and then hitting it - on the course. Still a good way to go - but I can now at least see a road to 'recovery' :)

And for me a part of my recovery requires me playing on the course by myself - or if others without worrying about my score. I must make my on-course playing context as close as possible to my PG practicing context. Scoring and cards only mess up the mind.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you pay a pro for advice and you ignore it, whose fault is it?
It's a bit like asking a guy for directions and he says ''go down to the traffic lights and turn left''
If you go to the traffic lights and turn right, whose fault is it?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's a bit like asking a guy for directions and he says ''go down to the traffic lights and turn left''

Bob is right. If you have a lesson and then fail to work on it constructively on the practice ground or range it isn't the fault of the pro. If you don't invest time making the changes how can you expect to go out on the course and see improvement. When I have a lesson, I expect the practice sessions to be inconsistent but as long as I feel I am making the changes and can see improvement to strike, direction and dispersion then I know I am moving forward

Taking it to the course is always hard but you have to simply trust what you've worked on and more importantly stick with the changes and not revert back if the round goes poorly or what is the point? I expect to play badly for 2-3 rounds as the changes bed in and always feel it's a step backwards playing to take two forward. Golf is hard and making constructive changes and incorporating them perhaps even harder

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
A lesson is not like taking your car to the garage, you don’t walk out suddenly fixed.

A lesson is a bit like going to a garage, the mechanic gives you the tools and the manual, maybe a video and shows you how to fix it. You still need to fix the car yourself though!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A lesson is not like taking your car to the garage, you don’t walk out suddenly fixed.

A lesson is a bit like going to a garage, the mechanic gives you the tools and the manual, maybe a video and shows you how to fix it. You still need to fix the car yourself though!
That would be a pretty s**t garage, I wouldn't go back there again.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you're not practicing then don't moan that you're not getting better. Can't always blame the teacher if the student refuses to learn.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site

I'm in a series of lessons at the moment, and working in between them to try and implement the skills on and off the course. On the course it requires a real discipline to try and implement what does not feel natural, and off the course it requires discipline to spend a couple of hours working at new skills. But if I don't put the work in, I agree the lessons are not worthwhile - especially as a high handicapper where practice is key as is the need to make sure what I am practising is helpful.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
You need time to make changes, playing in a competition makes this difficult - you really need to accept that your score may be poor and stick with the changes, rather than automatically default to the things you were doing after scoring poorly on a few holes. Or, go out on your own if you can, and if there's space play 2 balls. I sometimes do this for 6 holes, don't putt (or chip depending where the ball is in relation to the green) and walk, manage to keep pace and don't hold anyone up. 2nd ball invariably scores better!

jack1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for taking time to replies. I am in a series of lessons which work great...in the lesson. At the moment the changes are not working on the course or on the range. Guess i will persevere