what is a medal?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Taken from the website "About" golf section.

Definition: "Medal play" is simply another term for "stroke play." That is, a round of golf in which the score is kept by counting strokes and totaling them.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
hi i am new to golf only been playing about 6 months and was wondering what a medal is and how it works?

As said, it's a strokeplay competition - but not Stableford or Bogey i.e. every shot you play counts, the total shots added up and your handicap subtracted from that total.

You used to get an actual medal if you had the best score - there are probably some clubs which still award medals.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
sounds like fun how does it work is it over four rounds or a couple of days etc... and does it cost to enter

Usually a single round, although my club has a couple of "special" medals that run over a Sat and Sun.
Fees for entering (that make up the prize fund) vary from club to club and event to event (my club has a range from £5 to enter to £20 for the two dayers).

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most clubs organise a monthly medal where you play a stroke play competition all shots to count and the winner is the person with the lowest score. If it's gross the actual shots taken if it's a nett comp the winner is lowest with handicap deducted. Prizes will most often be a medal engraved with month and year and some vouchers tonsprnd in the pro shop. Cost carts from club to club mine is £4. Some courses organise open comps which anyone with an official handicap can enter and generally these cost a bit more although the prizes are generally larger too. Hope that helps.
Welocome to the madhouse. Enjoy!!

bees1987

Hacker
Visit site
thats pretty good but what stops people from lieing about there score and is it on one set day or can you play any day and enter

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
as i am new to golf i am trying to gather info about golf clubs and wether it is worth joining one or not as i only play pay per round course atm

I would not worry about medals just yet!

Competitions are common to all clubs, what varies is the frequency! My old club ran them Friday, Sat, Sunday for stablefords and a monthly medal on one Saturday a month.

Other things to look out for is the social side, I can tolerate a below average course if the social side is thriving.

papyt

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
as i am new to golf i am trying to gather info about golf clubs and whether it is worth joining one or not as i only play pay per round course atm
why not see if the course has a club attached to it,normally nominal charge to join and will help you in learning and enjoying the game,you can also play in comps. organised by them.

bees1987

Hacker
Visit site
I would not worry about medals just yet!

Competitions are common to all clubs, what varies is the frequency! My old club ran them Friday, Sat, Sunday for stablefords and a monthly medal on one Saturday a month.

Other things to look out for is the social side, I can tolerate a below average course if the social side is thriving.

thanks for the info but the mjaor factor i have to think about is that i work away from home alot and fit golf in where i can so i just turn up at my local pay as you play course which suits me fine but gets quite expensive so joining a club its probably better money wise but do you have to book tee times and do they have ranges and if so do you have to pay to use them?

papyt

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
thanks for the info but the mjaor factor i have to think about is that i work away from home alot and fit golf in where i can so i just turn up at my local pay as you play course which suits me fine but gets quite expensive so joining a club its probably better money wise but do you have to book tee times and do they have ranges and if so do you have to pay to use them?
are you taking the pi*s!!!!!!!!!

Tignanello97

Club Champion
Visit site

Do you have a servant waiting with paper after you've left the royal throne?

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do you have a servant waiting with paper after you've left the royal throne?
oh cmon guys - you have no idea if he's just super young, really inexperienced or what! I still remember the first time I thought about joining a club - i didnt have a clue what it was all about and would have loved someone to answer my questions! didnt know there was such a thing as a golf forum tho!

am stepping off my soap box now :sbox:

Bees - which course are you playing?