What iconic televised golfing moments do you remember down through the years?

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a youngster I still remember watching this with my Dad and feeling terrible for Doug. We were on holiday in a Donegal B&B and the TV room was rammed. I can still hear the groans. Nice to hear old Henry's dulcets too.

I've just watched it again and was willing the ball to go in.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
personally i don't watch much golf or was interested prior to 2006, but always remember Rober Karlsson shanking one from the middle of the fairway after Wayne the Pain had blown smoke up his arse for 5 mins on comentary how well he hit his irons. I quite liked RK and it made me feel so much better about my own problem with Shermans at the time

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Faldo's long iron into the 13th at Augusta
Rocca putting in from the valley of sin
VdV in the burn at Carnoustie
Rose holing a long putt in the RC and Mickelson giving him a huge thumbs up.
There are millions more .

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I can still remember watching the 91 Ryder Cup from Kiawah and Bernhard Langer missing the putt on 18 against Hale Irwin, I was cheesed off for about a week.

Most early memories though are of the Masters, the first time I watched an event on TV after I'd started playing and had an idea of what was going on, was Sandy Lyle in 88. That bunker shot on 18 to me at the time was miraculous and had me hooked on golf from then on.

D

Deleted member 15344

Seve in 84 with that fist pump celeb
Seve and Olly dancing at the Ryder Cup 87
Faldos putt to win his first Masters after Hoch missed a 2ft
Faldo speech and “did it my way”
Langer missing the putt at Kiawah
Woods chip with the Nike Logo
Jean Van Der Velde in the Burn
Rory slumped over his driver
GMac Celeb when he sunk that putt on the 16th in 2010

Loads more

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bernhard Langer missing the putt at Kiawah will always stay with me - the Ryder Cup coming down to the last putt on the last green after Langer had battled back against Hale Irwin....absolute drama!

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, there are many. Good to see Old Sir Tel's putt. Some of my own.

Duel in the sun.
Jack winning the Masters (86).
Ryder Cup Belfry - McGinley's winning putt.
Miracle at Medinah.
Seve - too many to be specific.
Watson's 'perfect' approach somehow running long on the 18th Royal St George's (2011 Open) - was gutted for him.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mainly all the Tiger ones they show over and over again. Like that ridiculous chip at the 2005 Masters that prompted his famous fist pump.

Also, that Bubba Watson driver off the deck with the enormous slice on it that found the green on the 18th at Kapalua, in 2011. Just an insane shot.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mine isn't an iconic shot but I remember Philly Mick playing an outrageous shot from the trees on the 7th at Augusta 10 odd years ago on the final day (think he was alongside Tiger) that bent through the air like a boomerang. When it pitched and stopped on the green the ball was spinning like a top. It was an extraordinary sight.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Woosie’s putt and celebration at the masters and Lyle’s iron into the 18th at the same...I’m from Shropshire and so both were local lads.

Faldo’s ‘I did it my way’ and nearly crying myself!

Harrington’s fairway wood onto the 17th at the 2008 open

The year Willett won the masters, when spieth blew up, suddenly Danny just had to finish well to win. I think he found out just before his tee shot on the 16th and still played an incredible shot under all that pressure!

I seem to recall the first golf I watched being the celebrity pro am with the likes of brucie and tarby?