What iconic televised golfing moments do you remember down through the years?

D

Deleted member 18588

Tony Jacklin's Open win in 1969.

Until then I hadn't been that interested in golf.

D

Deleted member 16999

But it has been on TV so many times so surely has to count. Was on an interview I saw with his caddy at the time, shown in the tribute to him I saw and shown during the coverage of this years event
The clue is in the tread title “televised” :rolleyes:
So no it doesn’t count!

D

Deleted member 16999

My Dad getting me to watch the 1976 Open with him on the BBC to see his favourite player Jack Nicklaus.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not on TV you didn't - the shot was never filmed!
Yep there was lots of “pictures” of the after swing but no videos of the actual shot

Billy Foster did a talk at our place and there are lots of videos about him describing it but he said it’s a shame there wasn’t ever a video

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Paul Lawrie winning the 2001 Dunhill Links with a strange putter that has probably gone onto be the most instantly recognisable putter in golf. - The Odyssey 2 ball.

D

Deleted member 1147

Pavin at Shinnicock, fairway wood into the last green
Faldo on 13 at Augusta
Woosies drive over the bunkers on 18 at Augusta
Woods losing to Wolstenhome at Porthcawl in the Walker cup
Couples getting stuck on the bank on 12 at Augusta

D

Deleted member 1418

If it has been so TV it has been televised. Thread doesn't say televise "LIVE"

Seve's 2nd shot was never televised - there's only an action photo of the shot after he's made contact with the ball.

What was captured on film was his chip in for birdie.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Seve's 2nd shot was never televised - there's only an action photo of the shot after he's made contact with the ball.

What was captured on film was his chip in for birdie.
Exactly. The chip in was filmed. The action pictures were shown to (Dave Cannon if I remember) were edited into the feature and then showed him chipping it in and Fosters great reaction. Point is the thing, the episode as a whole (pictures and actual chip) was on TV and remains in my mind an iconic moment (and certainly one of my favourite Seve moment) and sad that people seem to need the find the need to have cheap shots and pick faults and detract from the thread itself. It has been on TV. End of in my opinion

D

Deleted member 1418

Exactly. The chip in was filmed. The action pictures were shown to (Dave Cannon if I remember) were edited into the feature and then showed him chipping it in and Fosters great reaction. Point is the thing, the episode as a whole (pictures and actual chip) was on TV and remains in my mind an iconic moment (and certainly one of my favourite Seve moment) and sad that people seem to need the find the need to have cheap shots and pick faults and detract from the thread itself. It has been on TV. End of in my opinion

Ah ok I see where you're going with this now - the action photo's captured for a television documentary many years later 👍

dronfield

Visit site
But it has been on TV so many times so surely has to count. Was on an interview I saw with his caddy at the time, shown in the tribute to him I saw and shown during the coverage of this years event

The actual shot is not on film - they did record the next shot however, where Seve chipped in from the side of the green.
Sky have done interviews with Billy Foster from the site/plaque where Seve played the miracle shot from.

Rich

D

Deleted member 1418

Just a shame that 2 of Seve's most famous and iconic shots - the 2nd at Crans and his 3rd out of the fairway bunker on the 18th at the 1983 Ryder Cup - were never televised.

Swango1980

Visit site
Tiger's chip on the 16th at Augusta
Norman's nightmare last round at Augusta to lose to Faldo
Miracle at Medinah, especially Poulter's celebration on the 18th on Saturday, and Kaymer's winning putt
Justin Rose's pitch in as an amateur in The Open
Wood's winning another Major at Augusta last year
Seve on his knees and playing a great shot from under a bush
Bryson deChambeau taking about 4 minues to take a 6 foot putt, only to miss

OK, the last one there was a little tongue in cheek

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just a shame that 2 of Seve's most famous and iconic shots - the 2nd at Crans and his 3rd out of the fairway bunker on the 18th at the 1983 Ryder Cup - were never televised.
He should have insisted on being filmed, and refused to play til a camera arrived. 'Look guys, this will be flipping awesome, go get a camera'.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not exactly an iconic moment but I have very fond memories of watching Pro-Celebrity Golf from Gleneagles - for me an iconic programme.

But the iconic moment - the one the leaps straight and immediately to mind is Sandy's bunker shot on the 18th at Augusta 1988. I was watching with my wife to-be but back then girlfriend of 8 weeks - and we both leapt into the air. She had never watched golf before. She has watched the Masters with me ever since.

The most thrilling moment - the one that, to this day, sends a tingle down my spine and a tear to my eye when I watch, and that gives me the tingle as I type - is Seve holing the birdie putt at St Andrews in 1984.