What iconic televised golfing moments do you remember down through the years?

D

Deleted member 16999

Rose’s putt on the 17th against Mickelson on the sunday at Medinah.

Edit: Apologies, this doesn’t count as I didn’t see it on TV..............I was there:):)

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
In a different way, but Spieth throwing away the open with his 6? over on one hole, ‘giving’ it to Willet. And his great nearly comeback after that hole.

That hike itself was something out of Tin Cup. Nobody remembers who won but they always remember a 12.
Well, we remember Willet because it was the open, but we also remember Spieth.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
In a different way, but Spieth throwing away the open with his 6? over on one hole, ‘giving’ it to Willet. And his great nearly comeback after that hole.

That hike itself was something out of Tin Cup. Nobody remembers who won but they always remember a 12.
Well, we remember Willet because it was the open, but we also remember Spieth.
Do you mean the Masters when Spieth had a seven on the 12 th ????

D

Deleted member 21258

1998 Justin Rose as an amateur, which the best finish a hole out chip. Think he ended up in the top 5 if iirc. Was great to watch.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I came relatively late to golf so the whole Seve, Faldo era was lost to me. Sad to say the one that stands out is the Van der Velde moment. Sad because I would prefer an iconic moment to be a happy one rather than a one where a player blows up. I guess it goes back full circle to the very first post.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I came relatively late to golf so the whole Seve, Faldo era was lost to me. Sad to say the one that stands out is the Van der Velde moment. Sad because I would prefer an iconic moment to be a happy one rather than a one where a player blows up. I guess it goes back full circle to the very first post.
On a similar note, Garcia's Tin Cup moment at the Masters '18 was brilliant. Mostly because I think he's a tosser.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ooh, just thought of another one of my favourite golf moments - Freddy Couples at Sawgrass on the 17th. First ball in the water, tees it up again and jars it for par. Excellent! :D

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not exactly an iconic moment but I have very fond memories of watching Pro-Celebrity Golf from Gleneagles - for me an iconic programme.

I'd played a bit of golf before then, but when I watched the Marley Challenge I became hooked. Here were golfers enjoying themselves. Lee Trevino passed on so many tips I can remember some today.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Golf had very little interest to me when I was younger but sport on TV was far rarer and so was normally watched. Most of my memories were from the Masters when Europeans were in contention (Faldo V Norman etc). Very few memories of the Open as would never have been inside in the Summer watching TV when I was a kid. Sure I remember watching when Woosnam had 15 clubs but for the life of me could not tell you the tournament.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Golf had very little interest to me when I was younger but sport on TV was far rarer and so was normally watched. Most of my memories were from the Masters when Europeans were in contention (Faldo V Norman etc). Very few memories of the Open as would never have been inside in the Summer watching TV when I was a kid. Sure I remember watching when Woosnam had 15 clubs but for the life of me could not tell you the tournament.
2001 Open. (Thanks Google.)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For me, it's the 1972 Open at Muirfield where lee Trevino came through and beat Tony Jacklin. Watching the coverage that year was the reason I started to play golf seriously. The rest of that years summer holidays were spent on our local course trying to emulate Trevino and Jacklin :)

Me too - hadn't been playing for that long but was totally gripped by that Open and Trevino and Jacklin.