What iconic televised golfing moments do you remember down through the years?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Am surprised this one hasn't already been mentioned........
In 1981, Tom Weiskopf won the Benson & Hedges International Open tournament @ Fulford and holed out for an eagle two on the 13th, but no one remembers it for either of those moments..... but THIS magic moment will never be forgotten.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure if it's 'iconic' but it lives in my memory as I, neither played golf at that time, nor was familiar with the rules but immediately I do remember thinking ...'He won't get away with that, surely'..... When, in America somewhere, Ken Brown waved his putter over the ball whilst making a backhand tap-in. Don't think it cost him anything other than 'place-money' but lives in my memory though I can't find it anywhere on the 'tinternet, though there's lot on him teaching putting!! Hahaha

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Whilst Tigers chip is iconic. And he has a highlight reel like no others thanks to the era he played in.
I think in years to come him walking down the 18th at the Tour Championship will go down as one of the Iconic moments in his career. The sheer number of people following him. The look on the face of a player as Great as Rory at the enormity of it all.

For other players. Obviously Bubba out the trees is up there. One of the funniest for me is Kevin Na out of the bushes when he carded a cricket score...

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site

DCB

Visit site
For me, it's the 1972 Open at Muirfield where lee Trevino came through and beat Tony Jacklin. Watching the coverage that year was the reason I started to play golf seriously. The rest of that years summer holidays were spent on our local course trying to emulate Trevino and Jacklin :)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not on TV you didn't - the shot was never filmed!
Bahaha busted.
As the memorable song by the firm went: "boldly going forward cause we cant find reverse!"

Rory, par 3,10th hole at Congressional on the Sunday in 2011 US Open not long after 'that' Sunday afternoon at Augusta. 6i iirc 200 yards, knocked it to a foot, just knew that was it for him, hed walk it from there.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
In terms of pure drama Stenson / Mickelson Open was simply amazing - Medina unfolded and built to a climax but those 2 simply battled and battled for hours.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rose’s putt on 17 at Medinah during the Ryder Cup.

It was the time I finally believed that ‘it’ could happen. I can remember going ballistic at about 11pm in my living room.

Also, Bubba’s shot in the playoff at The Masters out the bundai.