What does your newspaper say about you..

V

vkurup

I now read most of my news online + the free papers that you can find every day on the trains. With my dad visiting us for the next few weeks and he having a habit of reading a (proper) newspaper every morning, I am thinking of starting a subscription. I got my newspaper reading habit by watching him read the papers every morning (and hopefully this habit will rub on to the next generation). So looking around to see which one to sub. However in the UK there is a 'perception' that is linked to newspaper. Having googled it.. here is what I found..

The Times - Upper middle class, somewhat elitist
Financial Times - those with interest in financial matters, but actually a very accurate newspaper for all major news (dry though).
The Independent - trendy intellectuals
The Observer - left wing pseudo intellectuals (teachers etc)
The Telegraph - Older, conservative, middle class people
The Daily Mail - Conservative party supporters and those with middle class aspirations, somewhat right wing stance.
The Daily Express - Slightly downmarket of Daily Mail
The Sun - Right wing, white, working class
The Mirror - Working class, pro labour paper
The Star - not really a newspaper, good for scantily dressed women!

A more scientific version is found here.. http://www.theguardian.com/media/yo...yougov-profiles-the-nations-newspaper-readers
We are debating between The Times and Telegraph. The FT is way too expensive (otherwise would have got top billings)

What do the forumers read for their news and what do they think of people reading papers?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Used to get the Daily Mail about 10 years ago when I had a job which didn't involve traveling, didn't really read much as I only got it for the crossword :D
We get the Mail on Saturday every weekend but only for the tv guide and again the crossword, I haven't actually sat down and read the paper itself for eons.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I lived in London I got the Sun as I thought it had the best sport section of the tabloids. Would've read the Telegraph instead if it wasn't so big and difficult to read on the tube. Occasionally look at both the Mail and Mirror online but get most of my news via the BBC website.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Express on occasion. I tend to only read the first para for the subject but then tend to ignore the subjective opinions later in the piece.

The Telegraph through the summer for the cricket reporting - excellent.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whenever i get on a plane (the only ever time i read a paper!!) i always pick up i. its easy reading, no major right or left views that i have picked up on. Crossword however is far too hard for an idiot like me!

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The Daily Mail - ... somewhat right wing stance.

Masterly understatement there! I would have put it as "Rabidly right wing and will twist stories to suit its own agenda at every opportunity". :D

I used to get a broadsheet every single day, like you though I tend to get all of my news online nowadays. Like to get a paper at the weekend still when there's a chance I may have time to read it.

The Grauniad is my paper of choice, it and its sister paper the Observer are left wing-ish, but only in the sense that Tony Blair is considered left wing. And certainly not for pseudo intellectuals! Of the others, I like the Telegraph most, certainly loads better than the Times. I've always found the Independent very very dull in the past although having said that it's a long time since I've picked up a copy.

D

Deleted member 15344

Only paper have bought in the last 20 years is the local observer

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't get one ever unless you count The Metro - when I'm on the train going to the big smoke.

My dad always said "believe nothing in the newspapers except perhaps the date, and even then try to get corroboration or a second opinion".

V

vkurup

Masterly understatement there! I would have put it as "Rabidly right wing and will twist stories to suit its own agenda at every opportunity". :D

I used to get a broadsheet every single day, like you though I tend to get all of my news online nowadays. Like to get a paper at the weekend still when there's a chance I may have time to read it.

The Grauniad is my paper of choice, it and its sister paper the Observer are left wing-ish, but only in the sense that Tony Blair is considered left wing. And certainly not for pseudo intellectuals! Of the others, I like the Telegraph most, certainly loads better than the Times. I've always found the Independent very very dull in the past although having said that it's a long time since I've picked up a copy.

I like the Telegraph but could not find a good deal on it. So have started a trial subscription of the Times.. £1 for one month incl weekend editions.. whats not to like. My local postmaster will deliver it for about £3-4 a week.. So nothing not to like it in, I would have loved it if the Telegraph did the same, but they wont..

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Times now it is in easy-to-read tabloid form.
Love the Daily Mail on-line just to see the comments posted. As long as you don't believe the stories, it's a must-visit.

cleanstrike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The Mirror is read by people who think they run the country.

The Guardian is read by people who think they should be running the country.

The Times is read by people who actually do run the country.

The Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country.

The Financial Times is read by people who own the country.

The Morning Star is read by people who think the country should be run by another country.

The Telegraph is read by people who think it already is.

… and Sun readers don’t care who runs the country as long as she’s got big t**s.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If I buy any it's the Sun as I usually play their dream team and I like their sports coverage. As for the news, and the quality (truth) therein I tend not to get too stressed. I know what I'm getting for my money and take it all with a large dose of salt