What do you want from a closing hole?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I dont like an easy hole to finish.

If you are one down it's good to have a hole that needs to be played well to make par.

The winner has to earn it. Not a gimmy par for a whimper of a finish.

NoLayingUp

Visit site
My home course (Bondhay Golf & Country Club - Nottinghamshire) finishes with an absolute scorecard wrecker! Golfshake.com have it in their top 50 hardest par 5’s in the UK. A 544 yard par 5, trees and bunkers all the way down with 2 lots of water to go over, on to an elevated 3 tier green. It’s had my pants down many a time! Average to Par is apparently +1.96. Absolutely stunning hole to play in all fairness though.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Par 5 with highish stroke index (so not particularly difficult as a par 5) and a decent risk/reward birdie opportunity for the better player.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Ours is a nervy affair.
201 yards from the white tees, water for most of the carry, the green is raised by 4 or 5 feet with a dry moat running all the way round the back and a bunker just short.
In a subconscious effort to make sure I carry the bunker I often feel myself forcing the shot with disastrous consequences.

I'd prefer a par 4 or 5.

1628932090150.png

Tinkerman

Visit site
Played Brocket Hall Melbourne course last week. It has a par 5 with water in front of the green. If you hit your drive 240-250 you're left with a layup and then a 130yd carry over the water, or 190yd carry to get on in two, which was too tempting to resist. It ended up wet for me!

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
a hole with lots of water near the green and a big patio where you can sit and watch people make tits of themselves

And as per @Orikuru - one of the 9's at Barton on Sea has a 100 yard par 3 to an island green right in front of the clubhouse balcony. Great viewing on a society day when you get in early and know all the guys coming in after you.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I had this on another thread.

The 18th at Northcliffe sorted the wheat from the chaf. Loved and hated this hole in equal measure.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played Brocket Hall Melbourne course last week. It has a par 5 with water in front of the green. If you hit your drive 240-250 you're left with a layup and then a 130yd carry over the water, or 190yd carry to get on in two, which was too tempting to resist. It ended up wet for me!

at least you get to ride the ferry over to the green :) made eagle there a couple of times in years gone by, hardest spot is if you miss it long having laid up!!!

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I just want a hole where you have a big miss on one side, nothing fiddly where any second shot with loft is involved and an 18th green nowhere near a bunch of baying punters

Not much to ask really. Alwoodley is pretty good/impossible, few expectations of a par but, if you make, four you’re bouncing.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Not the closing hole, unless you started from the 10th, but I recall playing Donnington Valley as a vistor. 9th is a short par 3, 100-110 yards tricky green over some water and the green is in front of the clubhouse (beer) garden. Was a lively bunch enjoying a drink in the sun and from the tee we could all hear the wagers being made on who was going closest to pin, in water etc.!
Thankfully I made the green, where the wagers became holing/missing putts.
Was good natured enough and we had a bit of banter about it.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Not the closing hole, unless you started from the 10th, but I recall playing Donnington Valley as a vistor. 9th is a short par 3, 100-110 yards tricky green over some water and the green is in front of the clubhouse (beer) garden. Was a lively bunch enjoying a drink in the sun and from the tee we could all hear the wagers being made on who was going closest to pin, in water etc.!
Thankfully I made the green, where the wagers became holing/missing putts.
Was good natured enough and we had a bit of banter about it.
I thinned one on that hole one morning, landed on a table, hit the clubhouse wall and bounced back to 20ft for an easy par!

I like a par 5 finishing hole, one with some risk/reward.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I dont like an easy hole to finish.

If you are one down it's good to have a hole that needs to be played well to make par.

The winner has to earn it. Not a gimmy par for a whimper of a finish.

Couldn't really think of a preference for a finishing hole (if you're well at this point, nothing is an issue, if you're not you just want it over!) but then I read this and agree totally with this - we have a tough 17th and a par 5 18th that needs a well placed tee shot and a decent shot over water to the green. If I'm only 1 or 2 down come the 16th, I always think I'm still in it.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
18th on Saunton East is pretty much on the money for me. Strong, but not overly daft par 4, with the Green right in front of the clubhouse patio/windows. Needs two good shots, and some good putting!!

Also. when you go there for the first time and you walk round the side of the building, you can see it all before you. Looks marvellous.

sunshine

Visit site
A decent birdie opportunity, maybe with a bit of risk reward. Often, I guess, that means a par 5 but, for example, I love the closing hole at Duddingston. It's a short par 4 but with trees left, a ditch right and a burn that runs across the fairway just shy of the green. Played well it's a drive and a wedge.... sounds easy.... ;)

RDBM!