What condition do you expect your course to be in come March 29?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You are not wrong, very heavy rain all day here, blowing a hoolie and didn't really get light all day.

One positive is it should be drier tomorrow and wind dropping to nearer 40 mph as opposed to nearer 50 mph today :ROFLMAO:

Being links course will be dry but will feel every single one of those mph :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not cried off yet but its only a matter of time :cry::cry::cry:
Saw a video earlier of the river in Ambleside flooding and almost bursting its banks...there's been a lot of rain Oop North anyway...

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Went for another walk on the course late afternoon. They've got it really neat and tidy - have given the rough a good short back and sides all over - I guess that this will also enable us to manage the growth and shape things as it does just as we want them. Fairways, greens and tees all look good - not perfect of course as it's still early in the growth year/
I think that there are times when a shorter first cut is use to speed up play and with the number of people about to hit the fairways it will be needed.

I remember one summer a few years ago the club decided to grow the first cut, not long, only about 2 inches, but really thick and lush. Play, particularly on competition days, slowed to a crawl as players were constantly looking for balls despite the fact that they might be practically standing on it. It didn't last long.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
This was the 14th fairway and 8th green Friday night.
Course was looking marvellous.

Lastly, they’ve marked out where the new tee boxes are going to complete the redevelopment of the 220 yard par 3 8th

It’s like Xmas eve....

Attachments

• F372D59B-88DF-4376-B73C-E4CC40D89C00.jpeg
    F372D59B-88DF-4376-B73C-E4CC40D89C00.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 20
  • E922F33D-1D92-4D67-8FEF-CFB93ACC6A00.jpeg
    E922F33D-1D92-4D67-8FEF-CFB93ACC6A00.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 21
  • A8C1CA3E-28D7-4B05-90D9-C848ABC29A25.jpeg
    A8C1CA3E-28D7-4B05-90D9-C848ABC29A25.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 21

D-S

Visit site
This was the 14th fairway and 8th green Friday night.
Course was looking marvellous.

Lastly, they’ve marked out where the new tee boxes are going to complete the redevelopment of the 220 yard par 3 8th

It’s like Xmas eve....
That looks like a proper golf course. Which is it,if you don’t mind me askin.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that there are times when a shorter first cut is use to speed up play and with the number of people about to hit the fairways it will be needed.

I remember one summer a few years ago the club decided to grow the first cut, not long, only about 2 inches, but really thick and lush. Play, particularly on competition days, slowed to a crawl as players were constantly looking for balls despite the fact that they might be practically standing on it. It didn't last long.
That also...areas that we’d normally be hunting for our ball have been cut right down - was thinking to speed things up at least first few weeks when course likely to be busy. That said plenty of free slots next week. I can play just about any morning or afternoon and any time every evening.

D

Deleted member 3432

Saw a video earlier of the river in Ambleside flooding and almost bursting its banks...there's been a lot of rain Oop North anyway...

Strangely enough the last couple of weeks have been reasonably dry up in Cumbria but when it rains it does a proper job and with all the water coming down off the fells the rivers get a lot of water in them very quickly.

I live a few hundred yards from the River Derwent, just above the end of the tidal section into the Irish Sea. Water comes down this river from the Borrowdale Valley travelling through Derwent Waster and Bassenthwaite Lake on its journey. Its one of Europe's fastest flowing rivers and the river level can rise incredibly fast. It might be dry on the coast but you can tell if its raining in the Lakes.....