What club next?

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
My current set up is a driver, hybrid, then 5i-pw, and a 54 degree sand wedge.

I had been thinking next would be a fairway wood. Would you suggest a 3W or 5W? Would the 5W and hybrid be doing the same job? Is there something else I should think of?

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
20°hybrid vs a 5 wood..possibly not a huge difference depending on your swing speed..
A 4 wood, however - about 16-17° - would give you the length( more or less) of a 3 wood with the ease of strike of a 5
Alternatively, something to bridge a possible gap between PW and SW..G20 wedge about 45°..? Big gap to a 54° sw...
A 50° might help...

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks Imurg, that sounds like worth thinking about. My Hybrid is 20° and, when I connect nicely, gets me about 170 yards, Driver (and I drive the ball pretty straight mostly) about 200-220.

Should have said no 4i in my bag at the moment, just goes driver, hybrid 5i.

Re the wedge end, I don't really feel like I have the control at the moment to benefit from a larger range of wedges. That's what I'm working on at the moment, so the time for that might come. That is a weakness that I'm working on, but my other main issue at the moment though is often fining myself 20 or 30 yards more than a well hit hybrid from the green.

Welcome people's thoughts.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
My advice would be along the lines of Imurg. Get a 4 wood and get the 50* G20 UW to match your set. I'm guessing on a normal day you have a gap of about 30 yards between your PW & SW. I would also be tempted to drop in a 23* hybrid too.

doing this to your bag would give you that extra distance for approach shots, bridge the gap between your current hybrid and 5i, give you a bit control on shots that fall between your PW & SW.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Only my opinion so could be wrong, but if a 20deg hybrid with a good hit goes 170yds I don't think you swing fast enough to make a 17/18deg hybrid work for you.

I'd go with a 4 or 5 wood.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Just out of interest.....
What club would you hit on a flat day from 150yds?

I think you meant me...

A 5 iron.

Except, that over the last few months I have been working on swinging a bit faster, and so, if I was warmed up and had been hitting my irons pretty well, I might think about a 6 iron, depending on whether I would rather be a bit long (5 iron) or a bit short.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So you have one club covering a 70yd gap between your driver and your hybrid.
How do you cope with the longer par 3s over 170yds?
I would suggest you certainly need either a 3 or a 4 wood to start with. Try and get hold of both so you can try them side by side and decide which you prefer. See what is available in the second hand bins at nearby courses.
And as others have said, get a 23/24 hybrid to fill the other gap.
And keep having lessons and practicing.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks Bob. That is exactly the problem. Up to now, I've not been too worried about that gap, but as I get (slowly) better, it has become a frustrating gap. I welcome the forum's advice on what to do next as I am learning this game and appreciate the guidance. I don't play frequently enough to be making fast progress, but am trying with lessons and play fitted around real life, build a game so that I can enjoy myself now, and that at some time in the future, when I can play more often can speed up progress. Progress is happening - I'm hunting down the 100, and the last few rounds have played the front or back nine in under 50, but haven't yet kept it together for 18 holes. Recent work in lessons and practice on chipping and short game work has been a revelation. Short game work now, then we'll go back to the swing I think and start looking at getting some distance rather than just hitting it straight.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A few have suggested the g20 17 or 23 hybrids. I have both, and would straight swap either for your 20. I've also got a callaway Diablo 4 wood that I'd part with for £20 if you took the swap.

can arrange pics if interested.