What causes a slice...?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
...on the back of Kellfire's thread about taking advice from others, could you diagnose all the possible reasons for a slice? I'll have a stab;
1) Out to in swing.
2) Aiming right with the feet but with the shoulders open.
3) Weak grip.
4) Club face open.
5) Wrong shaft flex.
6) Too many wraps(?) - might have it the wrong way round.

Add to that the speed and swing dynamics, and that's why I qualify any advice I give with "you need to see a pro with a video cam."

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
THE most common fault in golf.
The cause is the relationship between the clubface and swing path, relative to the target line.
The swing path is out to in to the target line and the club face is open to the target line
cure12.jpg

What causes this in the first place is the big question.
Was
the clubface open due to a poor grip so the golfer started to swing left
or
was the swingpath out to in so the golfer learned to open the face to bring the ball back from the left rough?

In an effort to fix this, the golfer normally aims left which makes the swing more out to in.

Normally in my experience it's the swingpath thats at fault which in turn creates a weak clubface.
So in theory, if you fix the swing path, the clubface will also fix itself.

And what causes the out to in swingpath?
A poor transition in my opinion is the main culprit.
And what causes a poor transition? a flat backswing if more often than not the cause.

Fix the transition, and the swingpath will be better which in turn means the clubface doesnt need to be open any more.
And how do you fix the tranasition..........you start with the swingpath, oddly.
My headcover drill is a simple and clear drill to help you with your swing path without having you having to know where every part of the body is at every part of the swing.
Just swing down between the headcovers.

[video=youtube;KsrovFJ3o9I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrovFJ3o9I[/video]

That will improve the transition and the swing path and in turn will cure the weak clubface (although the grip may need to be checked.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Excellent advice Bob, i wish i had you as my teacher when i started playing, might be playing alot better by now !

You and James on here are very very valuable members on this forum and i praise you both for your time and advice that you freely give

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Cheers Bob. I've used the headcover on the outside before the ball but had never thought of one on the inside after the ball... you can even teach on old coffin dodger like me new tricks!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Cheers Bob. I've used the headcover on the outside before the ball but had never thought of one on the inside after the ball... you can even teach on old coffin dodger like me new tricks!

You can give yourself a little room with the front headcover as the swing will come naturally to the inside on the follow through.....but don't give yourself too much room coz thats cheating. ;)

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
I think Bob's advice is pretty comprehensive. One thing I would add to the part about "...And what causes the out to in swingpath?" is the take away of the club head. I'm not a Pro so I don't have Bob's knowledge of the swing etc but as a clubfitter, I stand behind lots of people in fittings - you an see the initial takeaway of the club ahead going 'out' past the line straight away. Once that happens, there are all sorts of things going on to try and compensate but if that initial takeaway - IMHO - is outside, then a slice/fade is pretty much going to happen.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to have a big problem with a slice and it was all because i fanned the club face wide open on the takeaway then tried to save it having a big out to in swing or aiming left hence the big weak high left to right ball flight i had.

Then i went through stage of keeping the clubface square but still natrually put a big out to in swing on it and ended up with huge pulls and hooks.